Random observations on 2.57 build 20220603

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Random observations on 2.57 build 20220603

Post by RDaneel »

After reading the minutes/status from the last devs meeting, I was encouraged to try 2.57 (again)...

:) Indeed, the mail client seems to be at least partly working - I say "partly" only because I disabled access to my POP servers, as I didn't want to be "consuming" any incoming mail in a profile I was going to be discarding - but all of my existing client-side mails look fine.

Other than this, I have a few comments on the browser side:

1) of course we lose uBlock Origin and the GitLab/GitHub "Polyfill" support
2) Google site and tools, GMail seem to be fine
3) Bank of America works as well (with the usual complaints about my browser) as 2.53
4) the renderer *may* be slower, in that I can "watch" the painting when I do an F5 Refresh on wg9s
5) the "Data Manager" seems to be way faster on startup, or, it doesn't show the same weirdly slow startup I am used to
6) Modern theme seems intact, Default is disabled(?)
7) SM seems to use about ~50 MB less memory and 10-15 fewer threads on startup of my usual huge tab-set

So, except for the fact that I am unwilling to face the web without uBlock Origin (I am already resigned to using Chromium-based browsers for Github), SM 2.57 would appear to be usable for me at this time - thanks for the work on this, Ian and f-r! :)
Snake4

Re: Random observations on 2.57 build 20220603

Post by Snake4 »

just a question on this build of 257, why is it stuck using rust 1.37 ? an not 1.58.1 like 253 uses
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

I have been wondering that myself - I keep seeing references to newer stuff needing downlevel Rust versions... not sure if it is a language feature or library issue.

It could be that what we see as a newer version of SM doesn't contain all source updates yet, and might still contain older Rust code that is rejected by newer [more conformant or picky] versions of the Rust compiler?
frg

Post by frg »

2.57 enables stylo which thanks to everchanging rust can not go beyond 1.37. Needs later rust cssparser for which I have a patch for 1.38 but then it fails again and needs a new bindgen. The main reason 2.53 still has stylo not enabled. Same problem. Rust is just unstable junk.

2.57 is more on less on hold because of the formatting changes mozilla did to the esr60 tree. IanN and I just don't have time to do two trees and comm-central. 2.53 is now far more advanced anyway and 2.57 is not really needed any longer. It still has some enhancements but they are backported to 2.53 as fast as possible without picking the bad stuff from post 56 releases. At one point in time we might reuse the version number.

Web extension support is becoming a joke with manifest v3 on the horizon anyway. Major selling point was stability and security. I never bought security and stability is now out of the window too with crippling ad blockers and background pages removal among other things. I rather take good old uBlock Orgin and the few classic extensions which are still being updated.

Not an offcial statement just my 2 cents. Unless we get more contributors it will be as it is now.

FRG
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

although the SM 2.57 builds from WG9S were getting updated a little more frequently since the 6/3 build than in past months (there are now 6/10/2022 builds of 2.57 as I checked moments ago)

still, webextension support in 2.57 seems like "light years" (or several years) away