Does anybody else have issues w/downloading fresh builds?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
old jasonb

Does anybody else have issues w/downloading fresh builds?

Post by old jasonb »

I'm wondering if other people experience the following or not:

Frequently, I keep checking for the morning's latest build every 10 minutes or so. As soon as it's available I"ll download the network installer version. I'll run it but as the installer starts to download the necessary files nothing happens, I'm told that there are network errors and it aborts. Then I'll try to downlad the SEA version. Sometime this works, other times the download counts all the way up to 100% and finishes - but no file is actually saved in my download directory. It's as if it aborts right at the end (although I get no error message).

I just had all of this happen to me this morning. Ironically, I was able to install the 11/19 build by executing the SEA .exe directly from IE.

1. Why does the network installer fail with errors when the SEA works just fine?
2. Why does the SEA appear to download but put no file in my download directory when it's done?
3. Why would IE be able to download the SEA when Mozilla can't?

Is this all just a matter of timing and coincidence, and I'm really seeing the SEA and or IE working when, in fact, it's just that more time has passed as I switch to other methods? If so, why do the files appear in the FTP download directory when they aren't actually "all there" as they should be?
PepeJeria

Post by PepeJeria »

I've been having the same problems downloading the net installer. This problem started a while ago. Since then I dont even try it and download the whole install file to be safe.
herman

Re: Does anybody else have issues w/downloading fresh builds

Post by herman »

JBassford wrote:I'm wondering if other people experience the following or not:

1. Why does the network installer fail with errors when the SEA works just fine?
2. Why does the SEA appear to download but put no file in my download directory when it's done?
3. Why would IE be able to download the SEA when Mozilla can't?

I don´t know much about HTTP or FTP.
I used to download .exes from the latest-directories, but when I got broken exes, I assumed, I should be more safe, if I use a directory, whose contents doesn´t get changed midway about my half hour download.
Download from the latest-directory should go via a link in this directory,
but if there´s a file?
So now mostly I download from the -04 or -08 folder, because there are the windows files I need.
After having some troubles with profiles and exes, I now install zips,
besides better working I also don´t have to deinstall, just delete the folder before installing.

Sometimes I got broken zips, these contained nothing but binary zeros.
On my win98SE-computer one of these download finished in 10 minutes (ISDN), though theoretically it´s about 25 mins.
At home, on my win98-computer (not SE) it finished normally,
so the other download had been using some sort of compression.
I´m downloading full files because I can reinstall ome of the old files,
if I´m not content with the new build.

herman
ckjnigel

Sloppiness?

Post by ckjnigel »

Could that be the explanation for such problems as a *.sea installer that contains a corrupted xpcom.xpi?
It really does seem that whoever is packaging the *sea's and *zips must be working through a blinding hangover ... day after day there's some cretinated screwup ... and there's still no sensible explanation of why the *sea executable cannot contain the latest mail features ...