Bookmarks and memory

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Bookmarks and memory

Post by dfoulkes »

Grumpus wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:
I have a very large number of bookmarks
Curious here... how many is that? ... I ask because 'we' tend to save everything that we come across but unless those bookmarks are pointing to a static piece of info... they (bookmarks) are kind of useless... know what I mean? ... Net-searches will find the current info.
131 shame shame df
I know, I know.... I need to start reading my own posts... now I have some work to do. :oops:
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Mine is 9679.
The basic deal here is that if 'most' of those are pointed to sites with static info ... maybe because they are sources of data or ?? ... you know... stuff that you need for research and not just say... new articles or ?? ... then I'd say that you are fine with all of that... many users have more so I suppose that they 'need' them??

You said...
Most of it is just leftover stuff I don't use.
So I think that you have your answer... but you asked about bookmarks as your topic... is your Firefox running slow or ??
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Alfred001 wrote:Mine is 9679.
That's a whole lotta bookmarks, IMO. That many sure won't "help" you when or if you want to rearrange your bookmarks inside Firefox. Sorry if I seem to "harp" on rearranging bookmarks, but IMO that's where Firefox would be affected most by a large number of bookmarks. And that opinion is based upon my own experience years ago with Firefox, which resulted in my spending a great amount of time separating all my bookmarks into 3 separate groupings and putting each group into a separate Profile. That was at least 10 years ago and my "problem with slowness when rearranging bookmarks or when sorting them" hasn't resurfaced. 2788 in one Profile, 1995 in the 2nd, and maybe 250 in the 3rd Profile. And now-a-days I rarely save any new bookmarks, as dfoulkes, easy to search for information that I want to see - current information, not "dead links" from old, saved bookmarks.

I wonder how many of those 9679 bookmarks are dead links - the page doesn't exist any longer or the content was moved to a new URL?

10 years ago I would use a utility program named DeadLink to scan a bookmarks.html file for "dead links" and get rid of the "dead links". But when "Places" arrived "on the scene" in Firefox 3.0 that program was rendered basically useless for Firefox bookmarks, except for exporting to HTML format and then running DeadLink. I did that a few times and then stopped for some reason.

There has been a at least one extension over the years that would check Bookmarks in "Places" for "dead links", but that one died as of Firefox 4.0, as I recall. I just searched the AMO website for a "dead bookmarks" extension that is currently compatible; 385 extensions viewed and not one for "dead bookmarks". So there's no "quick fix" for getting rid of useless bookmarks that I can think of.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Alfred001 wrote: Most of it is just leftover stuff I don't use.
By static info you mean static web pages? Yeah, but I think most are such.
But, again, in my case most of this stuff is just old leftover stuff that I don't use.
If you install Bookmark Checker, the first thing it does is count them. Then it reports dead links.
"Deadlink" is dead.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes wrote: The basic deal here is that if 'most' of those are pointed to sites with static info ... maybe because they are sources of data or ?? ... you know... stuff that you need for research and not just say... new articles or ?? ... then I'd say that you are fine with all of that... many users have more so I suppose that they 'need' them??
There are all sorts of reasons to bookmark. Many of mine would take a long time to find again with a search because they're extremely specific. They're not large topics, but bits of info that are deeply embedded inside layers of topics and subtopics. If I think I might need it again, I file it in my own system. This thread has also inspired me to throw out some old stuff, topics that no longer interest me.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

There are all sorts of reasons to bookmark. Many of mine would take a long time to find again with a search because they're extremely specific. They're not large topics, but bits of info that are deeply embedded inside layers of topics and subtopics. If I think I might need it again, I file it in my own system. This thread has also inspired me to throw out some old stuff, topics that no longer interest me.
Exactly.... that is what I mean my 'static' bookmarks/data in their sites... too many users save bookmarks where the data in the link will go away in a short time... stories etc.

... where did you find Bookmark Checker... it is not on AMO ... probably was at one time... but, I don't see it there now.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoveMyFoxy wrote: If you install Bookmark Checker, the first thing it does is count them. Then it reports dead links.
"Deadlink" is dead.
Where is that available from?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Yep, I had around 9,000 bookmarks, but luckily it's very easy to have your 'cake and eat it' and it's quicker to actually do than to write about it.

Here's the problems I noticed -

#1. Dreadful hang when using the Bookmark Toolbar button, so much so that I stopped using it and used the sidebar where the bookmarks appear a bit quicker.

#2. The sheer difficulty of easily finding stuff with so many bookmarks around.

#3. The hopeless Firefox Bookmark Manager that has always been slow and hung, if you so much as looked at it.

#4. This last one was a surprise. You know when someone tries out Chrome and says it's lightening fast compared with Firefox? Well, you get Chrome users trying out Firefox and they say it's lightening fast compared with Chrome! The reason is that they are not comparing like with like. The new browser has a new virgin clean profile on it and the existing browser has an existing profile stuffed with all sorts of bits and pieces. This much we already know and it's no great surprise.

However, I had always assumed that that 'slowness' came from extensions, prefs.js, etc. etc. But one day I made a new profile (I don't know about memory, but Firefox was instantly more responsive) and was in a rush, so only had time to transfer the old places.sqlite to it, with a view to doing the rest later.

Er, Firefox was not as responsive on restart. This flies in the face of everything we know about Bookmarks and History and how they load. Yet, that is what I observed.

Enough talking, here's what to do about that -

#1. Bookmarks Manager > Import/Export > Export HTML (this retains bookmarks and folder structure, but not favicons, Tags or History)

#2. Help > Troubleshooting Info > Open Folder or whatever - (the window that opens is now showing your profile) - rename the new bookmarks.html to bookmarksgood.html and copy it and then paste it good few times to anywhere safe, like flashdrives, etc.

#3. Copy the path of bookmarksgood.html and paste it in the addressbar. Open the page and bookmark it. You now have instant access to every single 'old' bookmark forever.

#4. Exit Firefox (or SeaMonkey). In that profile window rename places.sqlite to places1.sqlite and the bookmarkbackups to bookmarkbackups1.

Restart Firefox and a new clean places.sqlite will be created. (if Firefox cannot find an existing places.sqlite, then it looks to the bookmarkbackups folder and if that doesn't exist it finally looks for a bookmarks.html. As I've made sure that none of these exist with their original names, then it is forced to autocreate a new places.sqlite. Do note, however, that the original places.sqlite does still exist.)

#5. Finally, use the 'bookmarksgood' bookmark to open your most used bookmarks in new tabs and bookmark them. Use Find (Ctrl + F) to find them. You'll get most, but will probably be adding the odd one or two for a week or so. Including new bookmarks I've added in the last few months back I now have 82 bookmarks in total. Surprising just how few bookmarks you actually need! All other problems now sorted.

#6. You're done.

Note - whole thing is, obviously, completely optional but worked well for me. Saved me having to agonise (and the time) over which bookmarks to keep and which to delete as all of them are still there and available, but now not doing any harm to anyone.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

the-edmeister wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote: If you install Bookmark Checker, the first thing it does is count them. Then it reports dead links.
"Deadlink" is dead.
Originally from AMO, but I see the interface is totally different now, so try a search engine. In fact it's so different that I haven't figured it out yet.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I checked for it the other day... on AMO and a search of the Net... everything (related to Firefox) kept pointing back to AMO.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use Greasemonkey for a particular website where I do work. I had an extension conflict with one of the scripts, and rather than spending time finding the culprit, I set up a plain vanilla profile last night with just Greasemonkey and LastPass. But that also allows me a 2nd bookmark file, history file, or whatever. It also moves faster than my regular profile, unencumbered by 25 extensions and a load of plugins.

ETA--I see the edmeister did that already, but it's a first for me.

BTW--do you have to reinstall plugins on anew profile?
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on July 31st, 2016, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

No, plugins auto installed.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes wrote:I checked for it the other day... on AMO and a search of the Net... everything (related to Firefox) kept pointing back to AMO.
My Add-ons still list v. 5.8.1 as an extension, but there's no page link. The "submit bug or suggestion" on the GUI links to a Chrome extensions forum. Duh.

Name of the file:
firefoxbookmarkchecker@everhelper.me.xpi
Everhelper.me is a syncing company.
me is a vanity domain, analogous to a vanity book self-published. I don't know the technical name.
Here's the dirt. It's an unsigned orphan:
http://www.freefixer.com/library/file/f ... pi-139882/

I wouldn't recommend this version. It tells me I have 131 errors, and I know some of them are just passworded, but there's nowhere to see the list and rake through them.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on July 31st, 2016, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

the-edmeister wrote: Take a look at your /bookmarkbackups/ folder and then the individual backup files in your Profile folder.

Files are named as such bookmarks-2016-07-26_2788_and-so-on.

2788 is the number of bookmarks in that backup file.

Do you mean the jsonlz4 file? Mine just say "319 KB."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
the-edmeister wrote:
"Deadlink" is dead.
Originally from AMO, but I see the interface is totally different now, so try a search engine. In fact it's so different that I haven't figured it out yet.
The "interface" change isn't going to make an add-on disappear from AMO. It was either blocked by Mozilla or the original developer removed it from AMO.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... rk-checker = No results found.
Last mention of that extension I could find via Google & the first time a user mentions that extension couldn't be found, was back in 2014. Mt guess is that it has been "dead" for a couple of years now.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nkchecker/ - last compatible with Firefox 2.0.0.* - last update was April 19, 2007 !

AM-DeadLink 4.7 http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm is no longer supported, but it does still work in Firefox 47.0.1 to check for DeadLinks, but has no feature to allow the user to delete any "dead bookmark". And I have seen mention that AM-DeadLink 'craps out' at ~900 bookmarks; making it virtually worthless.
LoveMy Foxy wrote:Do you mean the jsonlz4 file? Mine just say "319 KB."
bookmarks-2016-07-26_2788_randomString==.jsonlz4

The number following the date the backup file was created, but before the randomly generated string. Firefox size isn't an indication depending upon how it's compacted; relative but not an actual "count".