Firefox Support For Chromecast

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Protocol

Firefox Support For Chromecast

Post by Protocol »

Of course, Chrome supports Chromecast, but is there a way to get Firefox to cast to Chromecast?
Vivaldi also does it straight out of the box.
Grumpus

Re: Firefox Support For Chromecast

Post by Grumpus »

It looks like VLC supports playing the Chromecast feeds or content, not completely sure.
But with the update to Firefox 52 the installed plugins are disappeared.
They can be returned to the list if installed by adding this boolean item to about:config -"plugin.load_flash_only"
It seems somewhat vague as to what actually could support the Chromecast since it's a piece of hardware which probably would require some form of firmware built into the local players or Firefox itself.
Everything seems to point to proprietary with Google so maybe Vivaldi cut some form of deal.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't have Win 10 but from reading a little bit about this extension... seems that Win10 has something built in????

TubeCast :: Add-ons for Firefox

Maybe some searches of the Net might come up with more info?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

dfoulkes wrote:I don't have Win 10 but from reading a little bit about this extension... seems that Win10 has something built in????
The app is using DLNA which is built into Windows. At first glance it seems that the addon directs the media to the matching app that sends the media via DLNA. Firefox does have casting built in, but it was disabled on Desktop due to the way it scanned for casting devices causing problems with security software.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

browser.casting.enabled
resource:///modules/CastingApps.jsm
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Grumpus wrote:It looks like VLC supports playing the Chromecast feeds or content, not completely sure.
But with the update to Firefox 52 the installed plugins are disappeared.
They can be returned to the list if installed by adding this boolean item to about:config -"plugin.load_flash_only"
It seems somewhat vague as to what actually could support the Chromecast since it's a piece of hardware which probably would require some form of firmware built into the local players or Firefox itself.
Everything seems to point to proprietary with Google so maybe Vivaldi cut some form of deal.
Thanks for your reply.
VLC is no good as I want to cast from Firefox instead of Chrome.
I've added the boolean. Now, what do I do to get it to work?
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

dickvl wrote:browser.casting.enabled
Can you please expand on this?
I see that browser.casting.enabled is already there and set to false. Do I just change it to true?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Protocol wrote:
dickvl wrote:browser.casting.enabled
Can you please expand on this?
I see that browser.casting.enabled is already there and set to false. Do I just change it to true?
dickvl would be the best person to answer... but looking at my prefs data mine is set to false so I would assume turning in to true would activate it... you may need to restart your profile after the change...not sure though.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!