Prevent loss of text when accidentally activate a link

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Nettkrawler

Prevent loss of text when accidentally activate a link

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi folks.

This is an old infamous problem. I spend a half an hour writing some post on some forum, then I need to scroll up to copy a name of an user. Then if the mouse pointer accidentally hit within the text (is a link to that user profile), then In wild panic, hammering on the escape button and hopes Firefox cancel the attempt to follow the link - which I know will destroy all the precious well made text in that text field, I click the browser back-button just to behold - the text is gone forever, beyond any hope of recovery.
It is In those moments you just want to bang the head in the wall, wish the wall is just strong enough ](*,)

I know wery well that it exists extensions that saves any text in any text field at some seconds interval. Why doesn't I use such an extension? Because I don't have control of where the text goes. The least thing I need is that someone with physical access to my computer get access to my teh pin I use for my bank, or to read a copy of what I sent in mail two days ago.

So the dilemma boils down to this: How can I secure my text before it posts, but not keep private messages from email and bank.
Also very important - if such an extension exists, it must not allow any of the saved text to "synchronize with an online account" or something similar that makes the text go online, even it's claims to be encrypted. And I would not like any text be saved between sessions (unless excettion is made for single sites).

Another thing I cannot understand: Why does Firefox prevent loss of text on some sites (click a link and then back button, the text still exist in the forms) and others not?
barbaz

Re: Prevent loss of text when accidentally activate a link

Post by barbaz »

Form History Control. You can set it up to only save editor history on sites you specify.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Try using this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rea-cache/

Only saves its "cache" for as long as Firefox is open; clears the "cache" when Firefox closes. Does not work with Sync, nor does it send anything anywhere.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Thanks for answering.

Visiting the latter link, it say that Textarea Cache is not supported any more.

Think I give Form History Control a try :)

[edit]
There seems to be some poor auto translate going on on the addon download site.
That word tell you something is granted from the government, but exclusively from the government. That is shipping, people transport, and such. Never about computers because. I can help translating correclty If I just know what the english word should be.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome! 8-)
Nettkrawler wrote:[edit]
There seems to be some poor auto translate going on on the addon download site.
[image]
That word tell you something is granted from the government, but exclusively from the government. That is shipping, people transport, and such. Never about computers because. I can help translating correclty If I just know what the english word should be.
On my computer that says "Permissions" in English.