Saving forms and forum posts

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Red_Dwarf

Saving forms and forum posts

Post by Red_Dwarf »

For a very long time I have used Lazarus to save form data such as forum posts and it has been invaluable in doing that, saving what would of been lost long posts to forums on many occasions.

Unfortunately, since v53 Lazarus no longer works :( and I have been really missing it. I have tried Form history extension but it does not work well. It keeps telling me that there is no saved data or does not even show the menu on the Restore editor field menu, only showing a tiny white square. It does not seem to save the form data or keep backups like it is meant to. Nothing shows in the Form history in some forums. The history does seem to be working on Mozillazine but there are no backups available.

Is there anything reliable that works with v54+ or is there any way of getting Lazarus working, I have already tried editing the install.rdf without any success.
Grumpus

Re: Saving forms and forum posts

Post by Grumpus »

Maybe try Form History Control 1.4.0.6 Updated Marcj 2016.
You might have to go into about:config and reset xpinstall.signatures.required - boolean to false.
This change in about:config may also help Lazurus, try a restart of Firefox after the signature item change?
Just guessing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

Thanks Grumpus.

I am using FHC 1.4.0.6, I should of provided the version that I was using.

I am using Waterfox which ships with xpinstall.signatures.required set to false. I have also tried FF portable and made that change but Lazarus will not install because it is incompatible. Altering the install.rdf and zipping/xpi and FF/WF says the extension is corrupt for some reason which I have not worked out. I have tried 7zip and winrar with the same result even with using store rather than compression.

FHC is a bit of a waste of time, I cannot get it to work well. Even the menu does not show as I indicated. This is with a new profile with no other extensions installed.

Text Area cache is another extension which I have tried but that does not save all the forms. ATM it seems to be the best but reduced functionality than Lazarus. Text Area cache lite is another but so far I have not tried that. It is meant to have some problems.

I might have to revert back to an earlier browser version to restore Lazarus. Or move back to Palemoon, but that has other problems such as other extensions not working or being updated. Keefox newer versions do not work with Palemoon which is a big problem and Keepa extension makes Amazon so much better and that also has not been updated for Palemoon and is OOD in the version which works. It's a tough choice, the only hope is that Lazarus gets updated to work with the newer FF. Someone says that he has plans for re-writing Lazarus for >v53 but if/when that happens is unknown. I will have to test Text Area Cache/lite to find out how usable it is. TAC is working in this browser FF v54, I will have to try the lite version to compare it.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

Textarea Cache Lite does not work well, even the toolbar button does not do anything, even on the mozilla addons edit box. lmao. I have gone back to Textarea Cache and will use that for now. Hopefully Lazarus gets resurrected.
therube

Post by therube »

xpinstall.signatures.required
Altering the install.rdf
xpinstall.signatures.required was only valid through FF 47.
You would have to use the "developers edition" (or some such) of FF.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Lazarus is not only dead for firefox, also chrome. "Textarea Cache" is the only working solution for firefox for now, but there exists an upcoming webextension (swapping from chrome store) which ist really good. even for chrome the amount of such working extensions is very small. not sure if or when it is usable.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

therube wrote:
xpinstall.signatures.required
Altering the install.rdf
xpinstall.signatures.required was only valid through FF 47.
You would have to use the "developers edition" (or some such) of FF.
Oh, so that is why it did nothing. Although I do not think that explains why FF/WF complained that the extension with modified install.rdf was corrupt unless the signing/no signing is the problem.

Here is a thread about Lazarus and people discussing it's future. So far it has not got anywhere but at least they are looking into it to see if it can be done. Therefore there is some hope. We will have to see.....
https://github.com/lazarus-recovery/ori ... f/issues/2

Until then I will have to use Textarea Cache.