Warning Unresponsive Script on Facebook?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BobbyPhoenix

Warning Unresponsive Script on Facebook?

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

So on two computers (one laptop, and one desktop) when on Facebook for a while, and I scroll a lot, click posts, or especially posting emojis, I start getting the warning for an unresponsive script (different ones each time). Then after I either continue, or stop it, Firefox becomes slow, and I get the Titlebar with "Not Responding". The only way to "fix" it, is to close Firefox, and reopen it. This only seems to happen on Facebook, so I'm wondering if others have had similar issues? I even did a Refresh of Firefox thinking maybe something was messed up, but it still did it. I also cleared all history from the beginning, so that's no help either. New profile, safe mode, nothing seems to help. I'm thinking it's just how Firefox and Facebook interact, so I may try Chrome to see if it happens there.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
dfoulkes

Re: Warning Unresponsive Script on Facebook?

Post by dfoulkes »

I rarely get into FB... and one of the reasons is that it is so loaded with what I consider 'junk' ...and like you, after sometime I start having issues...

You mentioned that you created a new profile... did you use it for a long time with FB 'before' you started adding extensions etc...

Also, how much memory is in your system?

One other thing/trick... the next time this happens... clear your cache ...
Use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" buttons.)
Last edited by dfoulkes on June 29th, 2017, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Laptop has 8GB, and desktop has 12GB. I've cleaned cache along with cookies too. I didn't really test it long with a new profile before it did the same thing. I can pretty much replicate the issue on demand. Scroll a few pages, post like five emojis, scroll some more, then click on a post to watch a video or something, and it gets really slow, and then throws the script error, and not responding message, when trying to scroll again. If I'm in and out quick just to check a few posts it's OK, but if I'm there for like 15 minutes it's like a snowball effect. It just keeps getting slower and slower till it stops.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

dfoulkes wrote: You mentioned that you created a new profile... did you use it for a long time with FB 'before' you started adding extensions etc...
The red above...
...also, you seem to have plenty of memory... just to see how it goes.. and when you have time... you might want to reboot your comp. into safe-mode with Network active... then give it a test. ... also, what AV product do you use?
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

dfoulkes wrote:
dfoulkes wrote: You mentioned that you created a new profile... did you use it for a long time with FB 'before' you started adding extensions etc...
The red above...
...also, you seem to have plenty of memory... just to see how it goes.. and when you have time... you might want to reboot your comp. into safe-mode with Network active... then give it a test. ... also, what AV product do you use?
When I refreshed Firefox there were no extensions yet added. I don't remember how soon after, but one (or more) may be the cause. The desktop only has an Adguard ad blocker, and Lastpass, but the laptop has those two plus around ten more. It happens the exact same way on both, so I don't know what rebooting into Safe Mode would do, but I can give it a try. I was doing some more searching on the web, and it seems heavy use of JS sites tends to bring the warning more frequently when on the page for a while. I guess it just bottlenecks. I don't want to change the timeout in about:config since that defeats the warning (I'd rather be told than to wonder what is making it slow). Lastly for my AV I use the built in Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10 on both. Just to add the laptop is W10 Pro, and the desktop is W10 Home.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

When I refreshed Firefox there were no extensions yet added. I don't remember how soon after, but one (or more) may be the cause.
The reason I asked is because you mentioned 'new profile' ... the basics here (as I understand them) is that a Refresh still keeps stuff like prefs and lots of other things in there... but a 'new' profile (with no changes) is in reality... a new profile right out-of-the-box... you might want to see what happens with a true new profile... just to get that out of the way... know what I mean?

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

dfoulkes wrote:
When I refreshed Firefox there were no extensions yet added. I don't remember how soon after, but one (or more) may be the cause.
The reason I asked is because you mentioned 'new profile' ... the basics here (as I understand them) is that a Refresh still keeps stuff like prefs and lots of other things in there... but a 'new' profile (with no changes) is in reality... a new profile right out-of-the-box... you might want to see what happens with a true new profile... just to get that out of the way... know what I mean?

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
I know what you mean. I'll give that a try next. Thanks for your input.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're Welcome! :D

Hope that you find something... if not... let us know.
MR2David

Post by MR2David »

I get this unresponsive script warning quite a lot, mostly in Facebook, YouTube or Netflix. In the latter two, I'll stop the script, then the only alternative is to restart FF because no amount of selecting links or tabs will work. It's like all links are plain text. When I hover my pointer over any tab I get a little word bubble with the name of the open tab, not the tab I'm hovering over, and it does that to all of them.
After a while, I get a Not Responding up top, and the whole screen fogs until it finishes whatever it's doing.
It's not a website specific warning. I get it in Thunderbird, too.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

MR2David wrote:I get this unresponsive script warning quite a lot, mostly in Facebook, YouTube or Netflix. In the latter two, I'll stop the script, then the only alternative is to restart FF because no amount of selecting links or tabs will work. It's like all links are plain text. When I hover my pointer over any tab I get a little word bubble with the name of the open tab, not the tab I'm hovering over, and it does that to all of them.
After a while, I get a Not Responding up top, and the whole screen fogs until it finishes whatever it's doing.
It's not a website specific warning. I get it in Thunderbird, too.
Yep. I've seen it on a couple other sites too. Facebook is my main headache. Even a new install with a new profile does it. It only started with the current release (54). At least for me. I was hoping 54.0.1 was the fix, but it wasn't. Sucks big time.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Open active connections to 1000 of your closest friends on Facebook will do it every time :shock:
at least for me
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln