MozillaZine

What is the whole story with Firefox and Google analytics

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tomatoshadow2

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted July 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Was just wondering what you guys think of the whole thing between Firefox and Google analytics? Just curious, I have read about it for the days it has been out.

Grumpus

User avatar
 
Posts: 11472
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 4:23 am
Location: ... Da' Swamp

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 5:26 am

Near as I can tell it's data gathering which when blocked can prevent some sites from functioning properly or some searches on sites not to work properly.
An example is the search function for the Mozillazine Knowledge Base, when blocked the search function does not work properly but when allowed goes through.
I've marked it as untrusted in NoScript and only allow it for a few sites.

tomatoshadow2

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 5:42 am

Grumpus wrote:Near as I can tell it's data gathering which when blocked can prevent some sites from functioning properly or some searches on sites not to work properly.
An example is the search function for the Mozillazine Knowledge Base, when blocked the search function does not work properly but when allowed goes through.
I've marked it as untrusted in NoScript and only allow it for a few sites.
I see, interesting. Do you think people are mistaken as in not having the whole story, and then freaking out, or is it something else?

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 8881
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 7:11 am

#KeepFightingMichael

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 7:46 am

read it in german
https://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewt ... 1&t=121066
utter rubbish from that author. it only concerns the "get addons" page, not the rest in addons.
https://www.accessfirefox.org/Firefox_A ... ptions.php

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 8881
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 7:59 am

Brummelchen wrote:read it in german
Or in English with a browser that offers one click, no Extension needed, translation.. :)
#KeepFightingMichael

tomatoshadow2

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 8:24 am

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm.....Are you referring to this?
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/14/mozil ... -standard/

..and Mozilla's rapid response :-"

https://github.com/mozilla/addons-front ... -315212909


Yes I am, I knew of the response,but not the article on it, thanks very much. Any opinions guys or indifferent? 8-)

Grumpus

User avatar
 
Posts: 11472
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 4:23 am
Location: ... Da' Swamp

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 12:52 pm

tomatoshadow2 wrote: Do you think people are mistaken as in not having the whole story, and then freaking out, or is it something else?

Fortunately for other people I don't think for them.
Why freak out, would it make any difference?

JayhawksRock

User avatar
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: October 24th, 2010, 8:51 am

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 1:55 pm

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Was just wondering what you guys think of the whole thing between Firefox and Google analytics? Just curious, I have read about it for the days it has been out.

Its been around for ages or did you just fall aff of the Beet Truck? :D
Google Analytics is a freemium web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google launched the service in November 2005 after acquiring Urchin. Google Analytics is now the most widely used web analytics service on the Internet.
Google Analytics - Wikipedia

The Story > https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... o0O1j-Zbg0

FWIW, Microsoft also has its own analytics service > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-ser ... orm-system
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

tomatoshadow2

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted July 16th, 2017, 1:33 am

@Grumpus Vey well said, couldn't agree more!

@JayhawksRock My apologies, to be honest I didn't know that its been around for so long, thanks for letting me know, appreciate it.

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest