Make New Tab use local Home Page

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
flaneurb

Re: Make New Tab use local Home Page

Post by flaneurb »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Edit: Bug 1426438 landed today, removing the underlying code this method relies on. It no longer works starting with Firefox 59.
Well, that's a pity. Thanks anyway for the code while it works.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

You can use a userChrome script instead. If you don't have userChrome.js set up, be sure to read the Usage section first.
As for the script itself, change the value of the mypage constant to the actual URL. If you're loading some kind of search page, also set the removefocus variable to yes. clearlocationbar should probably be left as-is, but it's an option in case it's needed.
:arrow: https://luke-baker.github.io

You're welcome.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Well, it maybe just a matter of time before that goes away as well according to https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/24/run-u ... [quote]The release of Firefox 57 blocks extensions like userChrome.js. Someone figured out how to restore the functionality in Firefox 57 and newer versions.

It needs to be noted that Mozilla may plug this hole at any time, and that scripts may stop working because of that eventually.[/quote]
Gingerbread Man

I'm aware the developers have repeatedly expressed interest in killing off userChrome.css, which would also put an end to userChrome.js scripts. For now, they still work in Nightly, so at the very least they'll work in Firefox 59.
Lejomoz

Post by Lejomoz »

@Gingerbread Man

Your website is amazing, very good tweaks in there.
and if i may ask, is it possible to add close buttons right to the tabs titles in "List all tabs" menu by using the userChrome.js and userChrome.css?
Gingerbread Man

It should be possible with userChrome.js, but I don't know how, sorry. Multiple Tab Handler can do that though.
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Edit: Bug 1426438 landed today, removing the underlying code this method relies on. It no longer works starting with Firefox 59.
Which has come to pass. Indeed, my FF59 wouldn't even start until I commented out the NewTabURL.override fix, so, I've gone back to New Tab Override and, the hoop-jumping and gymnastics in my original post.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.