HTML5Test.com results

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Morris Stuart

HTML5Test.com results

Post by Morris Stuart »

For a while now I have been keeping an eye on how Firefox performs the HTML5test.com results. I am on the beta channel and it’s nice to see what features web designers can start using broader once FF goes final.

The test is not perfect, it tests whether a browser supports a feature, not whether it is implemented correctly. It also tests a number of things that are not strictly HTML5. Still, I find it interesting to see how much browsers have progressed over the years.

The interesting thing is that, for the first time in years, new Firefox betas have started getting worse scores than earlier versions. Is this because of the rebuilding as part of Quantum?

When testing this yourself, make sure to disable ad blockers, No Script or other invasive extensions for this specific page as they can negatively impact the score.
therube

Re: HTML5Test.com results

Post by therube »

(They don't give you a method to download the results, csv, xls, or whatever?
Such that you could then load the data elsewhere, making comparisons, say between various browser versions, easier?
They have their own, Compare, page, but still.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

Ok i tested release, beta and nightly.
Release 497 points
Beta 496 points
Nightly 504 points

Yes the score decreased in beta. But has much increased in nightly. Now i did look what actually is missing in the beta. The difference is in Web applications->Content and Scheme handlers->Custom content handlers. Here is teh Mozillas page for this feature

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... entHandler

So it has been supported by Firefox versions from 2 to 59, and no other browser has supported it. And now its marked as obsolete. I guess HTML5test.com should update their testing suite?
Morris Stuart

Post by Morris Stuart »

Ah, thanks! Good to know that the nightly increases the score again. :)
therube

Post by therube »

497, 496, 504, sorry but I'm not about to quibble about such things unless one of those 8 are regularly affecting me :-).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

That test has become extremely inaccurate. It tells me I am using Fx 52.0. No, I am testing on Fx 52.9 ESR on Windows 10.

When I test there using Basilisk 218.06.01 (64 bit), it claims I am testing on Fx 52.9. Bah.

The score is 67 points higher on Basilisk but I agree with therube as both browsers do fine as far as I am concerned. But the test is meaningless anyhow since the site cannot figure out what browser I am testing with. I just tested Vivaldi there and it gets a considerably higher score than Basilisk or Fx 52.9 ESR. That site knows it is Vivaldi so how come that site detects Fx 52.9 ESR and Basilisk completely wrong? I've never trusted the test site because it has always seemed very prejudiced against Mozilla browsers and forks.
James

Post by James »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:That test has become extremely inaccurate. It tells me I am using Fx 52.0. No, I am testing on Fx 52.9 ESR on Windows 10.
Ever since the Firefox 16.0.2 Release the Firefox useragents have not shown the minor versions so Firefox 60.0.2 Release for example shows as 60.0 same with 52.9.0 showing as 52.0
Morris Stuart

Post by Morris Stuart »

I'm currently using Firefox 62.0b15 (64-bit) on macOS 10.13.6. I have disabled ad blocking for html5test.com but my score at the moment is 493, that is 4 points lower than I used to get on Firefox 61.

I'd like to know for sure it's not a local thing. What do other people get with the latest build on the beta channel?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Nightly testing build
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Is the test inaccurate, because its biased against Firefox?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Sigh, this classic Cult victimhood, 'the whole world's against us', 'only we are doing good', 'no one else can be trusted' is a bunch of BS.
Perhaps Mozilla should concentrate on developing a USER FRIENDLY browser and cut out this saving the web (for $$$$$$$) crap ?
Why would anyone give a toss about rigging test results of a browser that's already sinking like a lead balloon.
Me thinks MozCo and their acolytes protest too much.
@Maybe this forum is "biased"? The owner works for a rival browser!!
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I see your point Mightyglydd, I think Webrender can really help improve Firefox overall, in my honest opinion I think people are starting to realize how great of a browser Firefox is again. I also didn't know the owner worked for a rival browser, interesting.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Well these aren't Guinness Book of Records days anymore,
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2008/07/1 ... rtificate/
Ten years on there are plenty of excellent alternative browsers out there, as for the 'innards', Ferrari could be providing the engine for all I care....as long as it works....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

(I'm using FF 3.0, now, actually. Virtually every day, actually.)
Morris Stuart

Post by Morris Stuart »

I'm getting a score of 499 using Firefox 63.0b11 (64-bit) on macOS High Sierra. I have disabled all ad blocking, tracking blocking etc. for html5test.com as that could interfere. Does everyone else get 499 with Firefox 63?