Google doc of WebExt

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Google doc of WebExt

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'm weighing the pros and cons of moving on from 52.9ESR. In the thread above, "Firefox 57 and later: WebExtensions status of legacy add-ons," only 451 are covered in the Google doc, and only 5 of mine. It appears to be updated because there was an entry on 11/3. What's the status of the ones not listed? Presumably not ported?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lasardo

Re: Google doc of WebExt

Post by lasardo »

If you post your list of extensions you want to use or find alternatives to, someone may provide suggestions about them. This legacy extension can export a list of your extensions which you can edit to relevant detail. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -dumper-2/

If you want to research yourself, search the addons.mozilla.org site, but don't look, or don't only look for the name of the original extension, instead look for keywords related to its function. If you search with current Firefox you will only get results for quantum extensions. I don't know what happens if you search with an old Firefox or another browser.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there are only cons for 52, and only pros for quantum

>> What's the status of the ones not listed?

either no one using or auther dropped... search here for it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/

i remmeber the list but i never used it because i made my own experience. and i still switch extensions for purpose, nothing is fixed!
therube

Post by therube »

There are only pros for 52, and cons for quantum [when it comes to extensions] ;-).

You have to expect (& isn't it a g-rrreat expectation at that) that; 1) a web extension equivalent does not exist, 2) if some equivalent does exist, it will offer far less functionality then its predecessor.

In any case, download a "portable" version of FF (https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable) & experiment.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Brummelchen wrote:there are only cons for 52, and only pros for quantum
>> What's the status of the ones not listed?

either no one using or auther dropped... search here for it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/

i remmeber the list but i never used it because i made my own experience. and i still switch extensions for purpose, nothing is fixed!
How did I know you would answer that? :roll You can smell an opportunity for your negativity a mile away.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks, @lasardo --if it's not compatible with my version, it just says so, but it's still visible to me.

and thanks,@therube. You're not a rube at all. Can Portable run from a flashdrive?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

v52 is out of support, it uses old code and its vulnerable. extenssions were deleted in near future, if some has nothing offline its like dead. and that is not in my imagination that is fact and upcoming. and its complete different what i might concern and had left behind. no one wants to harm you but at some time some should realise that end has come. portable - wasnt that hint given you before?

what i can tell you - im have dont much in mind about your listed extension - if you find a replacement - if it offers addition functionality outside firefox it will surivive - it it extends somehoew firefox functionalty it will die. the google list goves you a recommendation but it is uncertain if it will help you out. ask and you will be given one more answers than options. you need to experience it yourself. eg - people miss newsfox - but newsfox is dead. there exist tons of replacements but none is like newsfox. one is more that, the other is more this.

at the moment firefox lacks of a nice tab api but that is improving very fast. or additional bars - is under development with no date. security first.

but what you chose - v52 is still vulnerable and out of date.
therube

Post by therube »

It has nothing to do with negativity, it has to do with fact, with what is.
No fake news here ;-).

Let FF provide what is needed for its extensions to once again become feasible (to me) & I will gladly commend them.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

therube wrote:It has nothing to do with negativity, it has to do with fact, with what is.
No fake news here ;-).

Let FF provide what is needed for its extensions to once again become feasible (to me) & I will gladly commend them.
I was referring to Brummelchen.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'll have to look up some of them, and come back here with what remains.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'll explore the new addons, and come back with a list of leftovers.