FireFox incompatibility increasing?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
TimothyTimothy

FireFox incompatibility increasing?

Post by TimothyTimothy »

Anyone else notice that an increasing number of websites are not working with Firefox?

The last few weeks I've had to switch to Chrome many times to complete a process.

When I try contacting a website they just say "We recommed you use Chrome"

I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix 0.6 but I can't see how it has a future anymore in this increasingly monopolistically driven world
DanRaisch

Re: FireFox incompatibility increasing?

Post by DanRaisch »

No, not seeing that with the sites I visit.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

No issues here either even with all sorts of blockers and no cookies accepted.
Ifyou have a Custom setup for Privacy and Security blocking everything try a lower setting ;like Strict.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
TimothyTimothy

Post by TimothyTimothy »

It's more to do with buttons not working.

I was ordering a furniture sample, filled in the form, submit button didn't work on FF
Was buying some second hand crap from a shops website, got all the way through to the last submit button to confirm order, and it didn't work.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

I think sometimes Firefox suffers from the ease of customising. These days I never need recourse to Google Chrome.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you use something which blocks the page javascript or if it's blocked there might be a "javascript" comment at zero in the lower left of the window.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

I have experienced something similar to the OP.

The other day I tried to register on the Cambridge Dictionary+ website and when clicking on the sign-up icon a box popped up in a separate window. Despite having allowed all Javascript on the site the box was blank and I had to resort to using Chrome to register.

The odd thing is that now that having signed in on Chrome the sign-in box works in Firefox without anything having been changed.
FFman

Post by FFman »

@TimothyTimothy Can you give one or two examples of websites not working.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ashleyj wrote: The other day I tried to register on the Cambridge Dictionary+ website and when clicking on the sign-up icon a box popped up in a separate window. Despite having allowed all Javascript on the site the box was blank and I had to resort to using Chrome to register.
The sign-up page for that site works fine for me with SeaMonkey, i.e. if it works with SM, it sure as hell is going to work with Firefox.

Point is, Firefox Support is full of problems that have nothing to do with 'FireFox incompatibility'. Yet, in every single case the user wouldn't have the same problem with Edge Beta or Chrome. It's self-evident logic.

Next time, try troubleshooting with SafeMode, at the very least.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

I think I may have an example of a website that does not work with Firefox (I also tried SafeMode). None of the Build button works.

https://www.alfaromeo.ca/en/build-and-price
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Site opened fine with all blockers on and using NoScript, temporarily allowed the Alpha site and buttons and all controls worked.
No problems, something must be blocking the site in the system. Also this system blocks all cookies.
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

Grumpus wrote:Site opened fine with all blockers on and using NoScript, temporarily allowed the Alpha site and buttons and all controls worked.
No problems, something must be blocking the site in the system. Also this system blocks all cookies.
Thanks.

I think it's something to do with user.js set up that I have (plus some left over effect from extensions?). The site worked properly with a clean profile.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

StyxKee wrote:I think I may have an example of a website that does not work with Firefox (I also tried SafeMode)...
StyxKee wrote:... The site worked properly with a clean profile.
Thanks for getting back to us and for giving us an actual example. That's how a community support group is supposed to work.

You'd be surprised just how many people deliberately don't give examples or just quietly slink away when a bit of troubleshooting identifies the problem and doesn't suit the agenda they want to push.

Back in the day, we had this with endless 'Firefox is a Memory Hog!!!!' threads and now, it seems, the new 'trend', with both Firefox and SeaMonkey, is website incompatibility.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

After a lot of trials and errors with the entries in the user.js (there are a lot of legacy entries!), I nailed the issues to the following entries from my additional Privacy Tweaks (16-Feb-2017). These 2 entries probably have broken a number of websites for me:

user_pref("dom.storage.enabled", false);
user_pref("geo.enabled", false);