Send page to device - 30 devices (Linux)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Chunky_Monkey

Send page to device - 30 devices (Linux)

Post by Chunky_Monkey »

Hi,

In the right-click menu the "Send Page to Device" lists the same device 35 times, namely, "zippy's Fifefox on debian". I see this is the device name in the sync settings. I don't use my sync account on any other machines than this one (it is just for saving settings if I reinstall my system). Why does it show up so many times & can it be removed or reduced down to 1 instance in the list? It isn't that I use the feature at all, it just looks bad/wrong whenever I encounter it.

My Firefox version is 78.15.0esr (64-bit) on debian 11.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 5th, 2021, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
smsmith

Re: Send page to device - 30 devices (Linux)

Post by smsmith »

This has nothing to do with Linux and everything to do with the number of devices and profiles you have connected with Firefox Sync.

If you are like me, it took you several months to decide on a Linux distribution, and during that time installed many different versions, created many different users for your computer and connected your Firefox Sync each time to make it easy on yourself. In that time, each time you connected Firefox Sync, you created a new device that shows up in the list when you go to that submenu.

You can clear out old devices by going to Settings, Sync. Click the manage account link. In the page that opens, go to Connected Services. Sign out of all the devices/services you no longer need (or all the oldest of the same named devices).
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Chunky_Monkey

Post by Chunky_Monkey »

Thnaks for that' I've managed to get rid of some on that dashboard. Some aren't budging but they must be header instances for multiple below them. Yes it is from muiltiple linux system installs over the years. :D

Edit: It'd be useful in my case if there was a sign out all except this device... :)
Edit: I've now just deleted my sync account & recreated it again rather than go through loads of clicking with no indication of it doing anything (2 or 3 devices went from the list, but 4 wouldn't budge). All the extra devices are now gone.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Yeah, kinda blows you had to use a sledgehammer rather than a more fine tool, but you managed to get what you wanted. :D

I think that it *looks* like you are not getting anywhere because the list shown is not the whole list, it's pared down when you have multiple devices that are named the same. You need to disconnect, then refresh, pare again, and it looks like you are doing the same device over and over, but I think it's really the same named device, just further down in the master list that isn't shown to prevent overload. I noticed the same when I tried to trim mine. Maybe there's a "see all devices" button that I missed.

Anywho, glad you got what you were after.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.