Geo location nag

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Decidedly Devious

Geo location nag

Post by Decidedly Devious »

Why must I repeatedly choose whether or not to allow a site to know my Geo location?

Why isn't this a setting in the Privacy & Security pane that I can set ONCE and be done with it? Like a Showtime Rotisserie - set it and forget it.

I NEVER want to allow ANY website to know my location! If I must re-type my zip code into homedepot.com or walmart.com, then so be it - I'm used to it.

I use a VPN and connect to different countries every day, so knowing the Geolocation of the server I'm using isn't useful anyway.

Even with it blocked it causes problems with sites like Amazon & Ebay. Ebay shows prices in other currencies, and Amazon tells me some items can't be shipped to my country.

Sites I visit every day like Craigslist often ask for permission again - I was asked a few minutes ago even though I was logged in and had not cleared cookies - that's what reminded me to post this.

Even when I've previously blocked one, I'm sometimes nagged again. #-o ](*,)

FF 103.2
macOS Mojave
MarkRH

Re: Geo location nag

Post by MarkRH »

Well, you can go into about:config and set geo.enabled to false. Then, about all places can do is guess using your IP address.
Decidedly Devious

Post by Decidedly Devious »

Just checked and it's already set to false.

I'm hoping someone from FF reads this, or it's forwarded to them, and they add a setting.

But if it's already set to false and that didn't do anything, what good would a setting do?

I don't want to create yet another account on mozilla.org just to report this.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Try using the modify feature in about:config to "blank" the Google url (geo.provider.network,url)
. . . and change (geo.provider.use_corelocation ) to false as well.
You can change it back if needed
Also search for geo in about:config for other items having similar information.
You might also search your system for any Windows geolocation features.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you