Firefox is dragging terribly behind rate of my keystrokes

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

Firefox is dragging terribly behind rate of my keystrokes

Post by MiloShapiro »

All of a sudden this week, Firefox is lagging behind my pressing the keyboard keys something awful. I have to stop every eight words or so and wait up to 15 seconds for the typing to catch up. I can't even watch the screen while I'm typing because it's too distracting. It doesn't happen in Chrome, Word, Outlook, or any other place on my computer, nor is it limited to any specific website. Just anywhere in Firefox from the URL bar to the message I'm typing fright now in this box.
I'm in the current 106.0.5 on a fairly new Win11 PC. Task manager doesn't report my CPU or Memory being unusually high. Have rebooted and the problem is immediate again upon opening Firefox.
It's so bad that I'm starting to type in Word and copy afterward. Or just give up and use Chrome...but there's things about FF that I like.
Someone please help with ideas?
Milo in San Diego
xanthon

Re: Firefox is dragging terribly behind rate of my keystroke

Post by xanthon »

By various accounts, this is fixing that kind of issue.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ac ... ty-service
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Just for laughs, have you tried your system keyboard settings to see if it improves.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

Xanthon, I just followed those simple steps and set the code to "1" as recommended. Right now, it's looking good, but the problem has been sporadic so that doesn't prove anything yet. But if I get through a week without it happening again, you might be the prize winner on this. Grumpus, I've read your statement a bunch of times but don't understand what you're asking me to check or do. What do you mean, please, by "tried your system keyboard settings"?
Milo in San Diego
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Under your system control settigs, apart from Firefox, do you have control over your keyboard mouse or other devices.
My thought, could adjusting system settings affect Firefox from a global aspect. Sensitivity, repeat, etc.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

And if it happens again, of course you want to be aware of FF memory & CPU usage at that time, & overall system CPU usage.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript