upgrading from 56.0.2 to current

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Jatopian

upgrading from 56.0.2 to current

Post by Jatopian »

I need to upgrade an old installation of 56.0.2 (EME-free, 64-bit Windows) to modern Firefox. I'm wondering if there are any changes or known upgrading issues that might be an unpleasant surprise when jumping all those versions, or precautions I may not have considered.

I've read these already:
KB: Software Update
Firefox 57 and later: WebExtensions status of legacy add-ons
My experience preparing for the Firefox 57 add-on apocalypse
How to undo zoom changes in v103?

I will back up the profile folder, and create a system restore point. I've found adequate replacements for most add-ons. I plan to download an offline installer from here, not a stub.
therube

Re: upgrading from 56.0.2 to current

Post by therube »

I will back up the profile folder
Sounds like a plan :-).

That done, let'r rip & see how it goes.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Jatopian

Re: upgrading from 56.0.2 to current

Post by Jatopian »

Thanks for the response.

I'd put this off for months more because of some life stuff, but I did it finally. Most things were preserved and most of the changes have been tweaked back into being sensible (compact tab bars and such). The only real stand-out so far is that it lost history and about:newtab pinned links, but I suppose over time that will become a non-issue one way or another.

On the upside, it sure is fast now. It's been a long time since I upgraded any major software and it got noticeably less bloated.