Are the Chrome vulnerabilities applicable to Firefox?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Theo54

Are the Chrome vulnerabilities applicable to Firefox?

Post by Theo54 »

Yesterday BIG on the news: "Chrome needs to be updated to the latest version ASAP following the discovery of 8 vulnerabilities that could compromise your Password manager". I had 2 Updates for Chrome since yesterday, now V. 111.0.5563.147 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Looking at the Version of Firefox I see it is still V.111.0.1 (64-bit)
Question is: Are the Chrome vulnerabilities applicable to Firefox also as Firefox is based on the Chrome engine?

Thanks
James

Re: Are the Chrome vulnerabilities applicable to Firefox?

Post by James »

Theo54 wrote:Question is: Are the Chrome vulnerabilities applicable to Firefox also as Firefox is based on the Chrome engine?
Firefox still uses the Gecko browser engine since the start. It is not based on Chrome or Chromium in any way like a lot of web browsers are now days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(software)

What makes you think Firefox is based on Chrome or uses the Blink browser engine?
Theo54

Post by Theo54 »

Ohhhh..... I had always thought it was based on Chrome, and I think I have read it somewhere, sometime. (But I am not sure) It looks very much like Chrome, feels very much like it, the Version numbers are very similar so I had no douibts it WAS based on Chrome. But thanks for clarifying this! But the question remains: As Firefox LOOKS SO similar to Chrome, does it have, or could it have the same vulnerabilities? Thanks!
James

Post by James »

The web browser we know as Firefox existed since it was called the first of three names as in Phoenix 0.1 in September 23, 2002. The Google Chrome web browser first released years later as Beta in Sept 2008. Though there are some that incorrectly assume Firefox was first released in November 2004 at version 1.0

Mozilla has been more open about vulnerabilities in Firefox for a looong time now while other companies tended to hide them more unless there was a critical reasons to convince people to update their browsers. This more openness in the past especially made some think Firefox was less secure or more vulnerable when it fact Firefox was usually the first browser to get security updates for things that impacted multiple web browsers at the time.

ex: https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... s/firefox/
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In short, the answer to your specific question is "No".