Why the name of Firefox x64 (Windows) is Minefield ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
fregolo52

Why the name of Firefox x64 (Windows) is Minefield ?

Post by fregolo52 »

Hello,

I installed Firefox 3.0.6 x64 for Windows.
This webbrowser is named Minefield but I thought that Minefield is the codename of Firefox 3.2 !

Where (sub forum) shall I post my remarks about the installation of the x64 version ?

Thank you.
Racer

Re: Why the name of Firefox x64 (Windows) is Minefield ?

Post by Racer »

There is no official x86-64 version of Firefox. You have a build of the x86-64 development branch, which is currently a work in progress. The name of that branch is "Minefield".
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Trunk & Branch Builds FAQ

The x64 builds are test build strictly to make sure that the code compiles, NOT to be functional. There is no official x64 release yet.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
fregolo52

Post by fregolo52 »

Ok thank you.

I did not download the source code but the binaries. http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Download
Hence, http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/ is a non official website. :'(
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

It's called Minefield because using it can be like walking across a minefield. things may go boom! =)
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
James

Post by James »

fregolo52 wrote:Hello,

I installed Firefox 3.0.6 x64 for Windows.
This webbrowser is named Minefield but I thought that Minefield is the codename of Firefox 3.2 !

Where (sub forum) shall I post my remarks about the installation of the x64 version ?

Thank you.

fregolo52 wrote:Ok thank you.

I did not download the source code but the binaries. http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Download
Hence, http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/ is a non official website. :'(

They are still mislabeling their third-party 64-bit builds of Firefox 3.0.* as Minefield is really the codename of the Trunk nightlies (ever since mid-April) where early development of Firefox 3.6pre (placeholder version as 3.6 may not be the actual number and still labeled as 3.2 but will change) is currently being done on. The 64 bit builds of 3.0.* on wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com should be labeled as "GranParadiso" as this is the code name for third-party/nightlies of Firefox 3.0.* builds. The code name for Firefox 3.5 (was previously going to be 3.1) is Shiretoko.

The Minefield Trunk is not tied to any one version of Firefox but is where early development of the next major release (in the case Firefox 3.2 or soon rather will be with placeholder version of 3.6pre) is done on before branching off.

Mozilla does have 64-bit builds for Linux in nightlies however they are not officially supported as they are mostly to verify that they don't break compilation on x86-64, since it's possible to break x86-64 without breaking x86. The earliest Mozilla may have official 64-bit builds of Firefox for release may be Firefox 4.0 (Gecko 2.0)
fregolo52

Post by fregolo52 »

Thank you for all these information.