Can I supress the "Bookmark Toolbar Folder?"

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mrbowlman

Can I supress the "Bookmark Toolbar Folder?"

Post by mrbowlman »

I don't use the Bookmark Toolbar. Is there a way to remove the Bookmark Toolbar Folder from the Bookmarks menu? Is there a way to at least move it from the top spot? I've tried everything I could think of in Manage Bookmarks, but nothing seems to work.
lar3ry

Re: Can I supress the "Bookmark Toolbar Folder?"

Post by lar3ry »

mrbowlman wrote:I don't use the Bookmark Toolbar. Is there a way to remove the Bookmark Toolbar Folder from the Bookmarks menu? Is there a way to at least move it from the top spot? I've tried everything I could think of in Manage Bookmarks, but nothing seems to work.

Do you want to remove the actual toolbar from the main screen (this can be done via userChrome.css), or remove the actual folder from the Bookmarks page/sidebar?
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson
flii

Post by flii »

this has been talked about in <b>great</b> detail in other threads. to see what everyone has to say, look back or do a search. however, to answer your question simply, phoenix itself has no "legal" way to get rid of it. however, if you feel comfortable editing your bookmarks, i'll tell you how.

first, go to your C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\ (random string).slt directory or equivalent thereof. the file you need is "bookmarks.html".

in that file, look for this code:
<DT><H3 PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="NC:PersonalToolbarFolder">Bookmarks Toolbar Folder</H3>
<DD>Add bookmarks to this folder to see them displayed on the Bookmarks Toolbar
<DL><p>
<DT><(took out "a" so it wouldn't be a link) HREF="http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback/index.php?f=12">Phoenix Discussions</A>
<DD>MozillaZine's phoenix discussion forums
</DL><p>

delete all that. i think the newer versions of phoenix also have david's phoenix help site listed, so his link will show up like the "mozillazine's phoenix discusstion forums" does in that code. delete that too. (however, i suggest adding david's site to another part of your fav folder before you delete the link.) remember you need to do this with all phoenix windows closed.

anything further you need or are curious about is most likely talked about in the other threads. good luck. :)
mrbowlman

Post by mrbowlman »

I have already disabled the Bookmark Toolbar (view, toolbars). Now I would like to remove the folder from the Bookmarks Menu, which I guess is the same as the Bookmarks Sidebar.

Thanks for the reply
flii

Post by flii »

hehe, don't you just love typing something while another person is finishing typing your answer, but you don't submit it fast enough to beat the person who answered your question? hehehe. i always seem to do that. nice to see i'm not the only one. :lol:
mrbowlman

Post by mrbowlman »

Worked like a champ, thx Flii
flii

Post by flii »

any time. ;)