MozillaZine

anti aliasing and library wars

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
crippled-bird

Post Posted November 20th, 2002, 8:44 pm

I finally got phoenix with aa built by ensuring that the header files from the fontconfig 2.0 package were being used by the compiler. The available binaries (with aa), curiously wouldn't load my java plugin. The new phoenix wouldn't start until I directed /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1 to the new /usr/local/lib/libXft.so.2.0.

Now my other GTK binaries won't start, because they also call /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1, but need it to point to the old libXft.so.1.1. All this is easily reset as the link is regenerated each time I log in. I suppose I could put a wrapper around phoenix, but that doesn't seem very satisfying.

Any suggestions or is this going to be worked out in the future? Perhaps in XFree86 4.3? And why do Keith P's binaries work without this run around?

I want to know.

lar3ry

Post Posted November 21st, 2002, 5:32 am

crippled-bird wrote:Now my other GTK binaries won't start, because they also call /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1, but need it to point to the old libXft.so.1.1. All this is easily reset as the link is regenerated each time I log in. I suppose I could put a wrapper around phoenix, but that doesn't seem very satisfying.

Would it be possible for you to symlink one to the other? That would be an obvious first step.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson

crippled-bird

Post Posted November 21st, 2002, 9:51 am

Well, I think I should have run "make distclean" after I changed the Xft.h header files. I'll try it the next time I compile. In the new Xft.h file it clearly sets the Xft version as 2.0.0.

But the fonts are beautiful and Phoenix is gerat and that new monstrous java 1.4.1 works like I've never seen java work before.

Return to Firefox General