Phoenix and my webpage

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Starscream

Phoenix and my webpage

Post by Starscream »

Ok I'm using phoenix and I love it ... but it won't render my webpage properlly. I'm not saying this is phoenixe's fault, in fact I'm pretty sure its my fault, but I just can't seem to fix it.

You can see my webpage here (oops its right address now): <a href="http://redgum.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~apmurray/">http://redgum.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~apmurray/</a>

The problem is those gaps under all the images. The one on the menu being the worst visually but its really messing up the 1 pixel gifs used to make the black lines on the top and bottom.

I thought my style sheet was doing somthing funny but even when I delete it the gaps are still there.

Does anyone have a soloution? Should I be setting all the block related properties for images in CSS manually? Is it *gasp* a phoenix/mozilla bug? If this is just how phoenix renders images how can I make it stop?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Starscream on November 21st, 2002, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
seb

Post by seb »

I don't see any image on your website, but anyway, the fix for your problem is to use the css "display:block;" property on those images.
More informations there: http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/img-table/
Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Thank you very much. That seems to be exactly my problem.

ps. Most images on the page are one pixel gifs and the round corners on the boxes. You know subtle stuff.

pps. Ignore the above I wrote the wrong address.
priior

Post by priior »

or don't use tables for ur menus :)

i like to use
<ul>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>

for my menu list, and fix the padding, margin, and list-style (none) inthe css.

it makes more structural sense.. no?

edit:
ok for some reason my ul and /ul wont appear :-/
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Aron, that dark red background behind some of the words on your home page makes those words hard to read.

IMNSHO, the best web pages are those which concentrate primarily on content and don't try so hard to dictate appearance.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Netsabes wrote:I don't see any image on your website, but anyway, the fix for your problem is to use the css "display:block;" property on those images.
More informations there: http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/img-table/

Yes, that is the issue, but "display:block" seem like a silly solution, since it won't work in all cases.
A much brighter way to solve it is to use "vertical-align:bottom". That will work even on images that has text next to them.
Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Neil Parks wrote:IMNSHO, the best web pages are those which concentrate primarily on content and don't try so hard to dictate appearance.

Well the page is there mostly for my personal use and the content is importent to me. All the links are to sites I check almost every day and I use it as a sort of online bookmark file. If I'm at uni or someone else's place I don't have to remember a lot of different internet addresses, just my own.

Mind you it has been that colour for two years now, maybe I should change it.

Stefan wrote:Yes, that is the issue, but "display:block" seem like a silly solution, since it won't work in all cases.
A much brighter way to solve it is to use "vertical-align:bottom". That will work even on images that has text next to them.

Hmmm. I quickly skimmed that article and then quickly added the "display:block" method to my css. But that messed with the bottom part so I might look into "vertical-align:bottom". They seem to metion it in the artical so I'll probably have to sit down read it but that can all wait till tomorrow.

g'night.
Chris

Post by Chris »

<quote=Starscreem>Well the page is there mostly for my personal use and the content is importent to me. All the links are to sites I check almost every day and I use it as a sort of online bookmark file. If I'm at uni or someone else's place I don't have to remember a lot of different internet addresses, just my own. </quote>
<p>
Well you could just export your bookmarks and save that as your homepage. Then you would also have a backup.
iluvmonkees

Post by iluvmonkees »

Good God! Let the guy have a personal home page. Not everyone needs to be a minimalist... although I guess it wouldn't hurt ;)

Btw, it looks very nice!
Starscream

Post by Starscream »

iluvmonkees wrote:Btw, it looks very nice!

Thanks.