phoenix

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
brodos

phoenix

Post by brodos »

I get the message, that I should not use the netscape java plugin for internet explorer every time I open Phoenix 0.4. Why? and how can I fix it?
I also have problem whit downloading Phoenix themes and extensions.
I use the new Mozilla 1.3a at the moment. Will Phoenix work if I have mozilla installed??

Brodos
Brodos
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

To use java you just need the java plugin <a href="http://java.sun.com">from sun</a> I think the java vm (Vertual Machine) should work. And yes you can have Phoenix and Mozilla on the same computer. Just download Phoenix, unzip into a folder, then go to that folder and run <b>phoenix.exe</b> and it sould run fine. As far as the themes go once you download one, go to <b>Tools</b> then <b>Options</b> and <b>Themes and Extentions</b> and choose the theme you want, it should show. If not it could be a bad copy of Phoenix just download a new one and see if that don't fix your problem.
djst

Re: phoenix

Post by djst »

brodos wrote:I get the message, that I should not use the netscape java plugin for internet explorer every time I open Phoenix 0.4. Why? and how can I fix it?
I also have problem whit downloading Phoenix themes and extensions.
I use the new Mozilla 1.3a at the moment. Will Phoenix work if I have mozilla installed??

Brodos

You've probably changed your UA string. Select Help > About in the menu and see what string you're using. If it contains "MSIE", that's the problem. How can you change the UA string? Sorry, I don't remember, but try installing the Prefbar from my site.
mboullet

Post by mboullet »

Ok, your post has three question

1: I'm not sure a JVM for IE exists (expect for earlier IE version) since IE6 comes with its own (MS made) JVM. Mozilla based browsers do not come with an embedded JVM and you must download the JVM and the plugin from Sun. Help at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html .
If you have already installed the JVM and the plugin for mozilla just copy the plugin directory
from Mozilla to Phoenix.

2: Yes, you can run both Phoenix and Mozilla at the same time. Most of us do that using Mozilla Mail (+ sometimes browser) and Phoenix browser. Profiles are instancied in different directories. Obviously, you must install the builds in separate directories.

3: Use the link http://texturizer.net/phoenix/ to download themes and extensions. Notice that extensions are quite broken in recent builds and you must be a Phoenix "expert" to make them work.

Don't hesitate to ask if any problem arises.
Marc
rbrimhall

Post by rbrimhall »

a note on extensions... most seem to work on 11-14 build... which I have switched back to ...