Phoenix and Email....

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
gspears

Phoenix and Email....

Post by gspears »

Hello,
I remember reading in the roadmap about 2 months ago that there was an email client PLANNED for/with Phoenix, and I believe that the timeframe was either 0.5 or 0.7 of Phoenix. The timeline/roadmap now has no reference to this. Can someone let me know :
a). Is the email client still planned?
b). Rough timeline?

Thanks
GS
rbrimhall

Post by rbrimhall »

this thread talks about it some... the project is called thunderbird... but I, personally, don't know much about it... you could try a search though... here's the other thread: http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1025
ugggf

Post by ugggf »

It's (as far as I know) going to be a mail client ("Thunderbird") but it won't be part of the project and heard that it;s goinna be out there after v1.0 is released (or am I wrong?).
asa

As I understand it

Post by asa »

I think the plan is something like this:

Seth Spitzer (of Mozilla MailNews fame) has a "standalone" mail client, virtually identical to Mozilla MailNews, which has been prototyped and works based on code from the old 1.0 branch. He's going to be working to bring this code to the trunk so that anyone can build a standalone (no browser or composer) mail client that's otherwise the same as the Mozilla MailNews client. Once that happens (it's called minotaur), Phoenix users will have a decent XUL based mail client to use alongside Phoenix.
Then at some later point there will be an effort to "phoenix-ize" minotaur, bringing it over to the new toolkit that that Phoenix is based on, probably simplifying the interface some, improving performance and all that other good Phoenixy stuff. That project has been codenamed "thunderbird".
There has been some back and forth about in what order and in what timeframe all this will happen. Right now I think the order I've layed out is the working plan. Things may change. Hope this clears it up some.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
gspears

Post by gspears »

Thank You!
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

"Minotaur" as described above by Asa sounds good.

Any chance a standalone equivalent of Composer could be constructed along the same lines?
asa

Post by asa »

Neil Parks wrote:Any chance a standalone equivalent of Composer could be constructed along the same lines?

Go for it!

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961