Tips and tricks for Firefox guidebook

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
cookieclip

tips and tricks - cookies

Post by cookieclip »

When setting cookie controls in Tools/options/privacy cookies, if you select 'allow sites to set cookies' and for Keep Cookies set 'ask me every time', when the cookie dialog box pops up when you visit a site, if you 1. unselect the box 'use my choice for all cookies from this site' and you click deny for every cookie, you get different behavior than if you 2. selected the box and hit deny once. Using a proxy server you can see that in the first case, any existing permanent cookies for the site you're at will get sent for every request, wheras in the second case, any existing permanent cookies for the site you're at will get sent for the first request but not any subsequent requests.
ed burns

Post by ed burns »

Hi all... I AM the end user. I'm using FF now and loving it. I don't have a single friend, acquaintance, or correspondant who has even considered FF (FYI, I am 76 years old). I'm a grandpa rather than the target grandma, but here's my two cents.

I find the best way to learn to use anything that comes with a manual is to use it in the simplest way first, and THEN read the manual. In that spirit, I suggest that the guide book give the simplest method of using FF: no coding, no extensions, no nothing -- just the simple vanilla version. Suggest that after a week or so of tabbed browsing the newbie go into three for four of the most useful extentions. I'm using FF for about 5 months now and have Adblock, popup allow, target alert, TBP, Bug-me-not(I found their references in this forum). As I continue to use and read the forum I intend to expand the list; but, most importantly, it really is sufficient for my amateur purposes right now which is just browsing the internet. And so I'm learning as I go along. Haven't edited anything yet, but just downloaded Chromedit and getting up my nerve to do so.

Don't throw too much at me at any one time, but I just love fooling around with stuff I took for granted all these years. I'm far from a perfect example, but it's people like me who you should be targetting

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but thought I should put in a word for the grannies!!

EB
WinXP--Dell Laptop--Firefox 1.05--Thunderbird 1.0
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

A few extensions you may wish to play with:

undoclosetab (http://mozilla.dorando.at/undoclosetab.xpi) -- I accidentally close the wrong tab quite often... this is very handy for me

miniT drag & indicator (http://v2studio.com/k/moz/serve.asp?file=minit_drag.xpi) -- lets you re-order the tabs in a window by dragging them around with the mouse... so useful to stay organized; I don't know why this isn't built in to FF.

duplicate tab (http://downloads.mozdev.org/twanno/dupl ... -0.3.2.xpi) -- makes a copy of a given tab in either a new tab or a new window.
ed burns

Post by ed burns »

Thanks Fishbert, All suggestions gratefully accepted.

EB
WinXP--Dell Laptop--Firefox 1.05--Thunderbird 1.0