Installing Shockwave? (np32dsw.dll)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Faux Pass

Installing Shockwave? (np32dsw.dll)

Post by Faux Pass »

I've run Macromedia's Shockwave installer, but it has no effect. How can I install Shockwave on Phoenix? I looked at <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#2.3">David's FAQ</a>, which referred me to <a href="http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/index.html">PluginDoc</a>, but that merely suggested the installer.

I have also tried copying phoenix.exe to netscape.exe before running the installer.

Do I need to install Mozilla and then move the dll over, or is there an easier way?
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

The installer defaults to giving you a list of the browsers it found. This doesn't include Phoenix. BUT, you can use the browse button to select the Phoenix directory. (I had to select the plugins directory under that to get it to work). It should install at that point. Mine works, but I didn't check to see if it's because the plugin is in the Mozilla directory or the Phoenix directory.
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

ishopnude_com wrote:The installer defaults to giving you a list of the browsers it found. This doesn't include Phoenix. BUT, you can use the browse button to select the Phoenix directory. (I had to select the plugins directory under that to get it to work). It should install at that point. Mine works, but I didn't check to see if it's because the plugin is in the Mozilla directory or the Phoenix directory.

Hmm... I double-clicked shockwaveinstaller.exe and I watched some pretty progress bars zip around, and then it told me it was all installed and I was ready to go!

(I'm not ready to go.)

It does a pretty poor job of searching-- it didn't even find Opera!
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

If you have broadband and plenty of available space, try this method:

1. download the current Netscape Navigator and install.
2. quit and restart Phoenix.

If I remember correctly, it worked right away. If not, make a new profile. Navigator comes with a whole pile of plugins, and Phoenix somehow finds them in the Navigator window.

I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but what the heck.
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

thenightfly42 wrote:If you have broadband and plenty of available space, try this method:

1. download the current Netscape Navigator and install.
2. quit and restart Phoenix.

That's exactly the kind of solution I was hoping to avoid. Isn't there an elegant way? I just need one little DLL!
Ted Mielczarek

Shockwave

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

If you install shockwave flash 6, it has a little button for "other browsers". Click this and then select the phoenix plugins dir. You need flash 6 anyway, since flash5 crashes mozilla/phoenix currently.
Faux Pass

Re: Shockwave

Post by Faux Pass »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:If you install shockwave flash 6, it has a little button for "other browsers". Click this and then select the phoenix plugins dir. You need flash 6 anyway, since flash5 crashes mozilla/phoenix currently.

Will that install Shockwave (i.e. not Shockwave Flash(which uses NPSWF32.dll), but the player for files created with Director) as well? I already have Flash installed, and I'm fairly certain it's 6.

Here's a link: http://www.flyingpuppet.com/shock/loup.htm
Ted Mielczarek

Oh

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Good point, I'm not sure about anything but Flash.
djk

shockwave installer

Post by djk »

I just recently installed Shockwave (which includes Flash) with a recent Phoenix.

Double clicking the install program did just what you said it did for you: some progressbars, and that's all. No Phoenix love.

I went ahead and left it installed (probably installed it for IE), and then opened the shockwaveinstaller.exe with WinZip, and extracted:
NP32DSW.DLL
NPSWF32.DLL
SHOCKWAVEPLUGIN.CLASS

I then placed them in by Phoenix plugins directory. about:plugins seems to report the new versions of Flash and Shockwave, so I think it worked. :-)
Faux Pass

Re: shockwave installer

Post by Faux Pass »

djk wrote:I went ahead and left it installed (probably installed it for IE), and then opened the shockwaveinstaller.exe with WinZip, and extracted:
NP32DSW.DLL
NPSWF32.DLL
SHOCKWAVEPLUGIN.CLASS

I was ready to have you knighted. (Brilliant idea!)

But then I tried your suggestion and then went to http://www.flyingpuppet.com/shock/loup.htm

<b>phoenix.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.</b>

I guess it's more serious than just needing the right .dll?
djk

Post by djk »

Faux Pass wrote:I was ready to have you knighted. (Brilliant idea!)

But then I tried your suggestion and then went to http://www.flyingpuppet.com/shock/loup.htm

<b>phoenix.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.</b>

I guess it's more serious than just needing the right .dll?

That's funny, I went to that site with no problems at all.
I'm running a slightly older version of Phoenix, but it's still after the Unicode Flash5 Crash problem started.

Maybe your install of Phoenix is still using some old Flash or Shockwave .DLL for some reason.
Do you have the old ones anywhere on your system?
What does about:plugins tell you about the Shockwave and Flash versions?
iluvmonkees

Post by iluvmonkees »

I was ready to have you knighted. (Brilliant idea!)

Start the ceremonie! I just tried the idea and it worked flawlessly.

I am running the Nov 19 nightly Win32 binary. Also I did not have to double click the shockwave exe to install it. I simply extracted the 3 files with winrar into my phoenix plugins directory.

Maybe someone with extra bandwidth can post a zip of just those 3 files (about 600k) so everyone doesn't have to download the whole flash plugin... especially if your on dial-up.

Big thanks for figuring this out. I've been having this problem since I started. This should definitly be added to a faq!
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

djk wrote:Maybe your install of Phoenix is still using some old Flash or Shockwave .DLL for some reason.
Do you have the old ones anywhere on your system?
What does about:plugins tell you about the Shockwave and Flash versions?

Hmm. Well, I'm glad it works for you. I guess I should download a new nightly build and rebuild my profile before complaining further. Bleh.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021119 Phoenix/0.4

Shockwave Flash

File name: NPSWF32.DLL
Shockwave Flash 6.0 r47

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Macromedia Flash movie swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes

Shockwave for Director

File name: NP32DSW.DLL
Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 8.5

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-director Shockwave Movie dir,dxr,dcr Yes
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

I can't get shockwave to work for me either. If I go to Shockwave.com and try the "game of the month" cueball alley it just crashes Phoenix 1125 win32. :(
djk

Post by djk »

mesostinky wrote:I can't get shockwave to work for me either. If I go to Shockwave.com and try the "game of the month" cueball alley it just crashes Phoenix 1125 win32. :(

That application WFM also. This is definitely strange. I'm running 20021112, so maybe something in a newer build breaks things again. I just know that I upgraded Shockwave/Flash and any crashes I previously had went away.

Sorry I can't offer more help than that. :-}