'exit' closes all windows

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
clav

Post by clav »

thumperward wrote:Wordpad.

I already mentioned that one.

Apparently because its not an MDI app the user would expect it to behave differently from Word, which is. Or something like that.
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

thumperward wrote:Wordpad.

SDI - works the same way as everything else, unless your version is different to mine.

I saw strong argument from both sides in the old thread, but the consensus seemed to be that there'd need to be a usability eval to override platform behaviour. Overall opinion seemed roughly evenly split.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

We're almost to those 8 pages! Keep it up guys.

I guess I'll put in some more of my thoughts.

For those that claim it's kind of out of the way and hard to get at accidentally, it's not. I usually use the X in the tool bar, but often use File>Exit. Why do I use it? No reason at all. My hand simply drags the mouse in that direction. It can very easily be clicked on accidentally.

Also, is closing all windows something that is really worth having? I like to keep all related sites grouped in the same window, and then have another window for unrelated things. When I get tired of viewing sites in a certain bundle, I'll want to close/exit that window. While doing so, I may temporarily forget about the other sites I might have open in a different window, since all I am tuned into is the window I am currently viewing. It would be tragic (well, maybe not tragis, but annoying) to lose those other sites.

But if you insist on keeping it like this, at least let us remove it easily, or put a warning, or something.

I'm hungry. Too hungry to make a really good point.
clav

Post by clav »

adding something like:

menuitem[label=Exit] {
display: none;
}

to your userChrome.css file will probably remove it
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Don't know abut you, but I always click on the upper-right X, and if there are more than one tabs open I get asked if I really want to close Firebird 'cause more than one tabs are open...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030523 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
..::XF::..
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

XF wrote:Don't know abut you, but I always click on the upper-right X, and if there are more than one tabs open I get asked if I really want to close Firebird 'cause more than one tabs are open...

Might you have the tabextensions extension installed?
../frank

Post by ../frank »

Following thumperward's sterling suggestion in another thread:

We need an Advanced Options setting to specify our preference here.
  • Exit the application immediately
  • Ask before exiting
  • Close the current window/tab
  • Disable the Exit function

Behavior for "Exit" menu choice as documented in
  • IBM: SAA Advanced Interface Design Guide
  • Microsoft: The Windows Interface An Application Design Guide
  • IBM: Object-Oriented Interface Design
  • Various Interface Convention documents for The X Window System

is the behavior currently implemented, which I would choose.

But I started messing with computers before operating systems were readily available, so my dinosaur opinions about UI might not be as 1337 as yours;
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

../frank wrote:Following thumperward's sterling suggestion in another thread:

We need an Advanced Options setting to specify our preference here.
  • Exit the application immediately
  • Ask before exiting
  • Close the current window/tab
  • Disable the Exit function

Woahwoahwoahwoah. That looks dangerously close to not being sarcasm.

- Chris
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Sailfish wrote:
XF wrote:Don't know abut you, but I always click on the upper-right X, and if there are more than one tabs open I get asked if I really want to close Firebird 'cause more than one tabs are open...

Might you have the tabextensions extension installed?

I do... I always install it so sometimes that makes me think some TBE's features are Firebird's features....
..::XF::..
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

I am one of those IE refugees who's been fiddling around with Firebird while having quite a number of Firebird windows open, clicked "Exit" and got pissed off when I realized I'll have to search for the pages I've been reading again.

I put my hand up for removing Exit from File menu and moving Close to the bottom. Then think of how to make people who need the "Close all windows" feature happy - make an option somewhere, write an extension, whatever.
My Yute

Post by My Yute »

Are you confusing tabs with windows? I thnik TBE has a preference that has a confirmation dialague if you close more than one page at at time if multilpe tabs are open.
MechR

Post by MechR »

I tend to not use the upper-right corner X on most programs, because there's a creepy feeling that I'm not closing the program properly. Somehow it feels more secure to go to File->Exit in the program itself and close it that way.

That said, I can see how it would be annoying to unwittingly close multiple windows. OTOH, I also think there's times when having the function is much handier and less annoying than having to close, close, and close.

You know, classic Netscape puts up a message that says "Close all windows and exit Netscape? Yes/No" when you press Exit with more than one window open. Which is why it is one of the programs I sometimes use the upper-right X for, to close individual windows.

FB should have something like that. Then what to do is to put the Close option right above Exit, as in classic Netscape. That way there's a clear difference between the two options, and a reminder of Exit's true function even before the warning message.

Of course, then I'm not sure how the "Close all tabs" warning will fit into this...
djst

Post by djst »

Here's the good old thread about this: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=352
bijugc

Post by bijugc »

Giving wat people want !!!
Why a big debt for a simple thing

Here are two extensions, use only ONE

If u want to disable Exit, try <a href=http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/quicktools/QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi>QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi</a>

or to change as close window, try <a href=http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/quicktools/QuickToolsExit2Close.xpi>QuickToolsExit2Close.xpi</a>
8) Biju
MacroEditor | http://QuickTools.MozDev.org | Edit files inside ZIP,JAR,XPI http://7-Zip.org
Cure Cancer http://www.grid.org/about | GNOME,*nix on MSWin32 http://CyGNOME.sf.net
old Neil Parks

Re: 'exit' closes all windows

Post by old Neil Parks »

banjobacon! wrote:Is this something people actually like? Although I usually use the close button, I have used File>Exit a few times and been surprised when all my browser windows close. Can this be disabled? And if it were disabled, the close window could be eliminated.

I'm sure some people like it the way it is, but is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again (besides getting used to it)?

I personally hate it, and every time I upgrade to a new nightly one of the first things I do is edit browser.xul to disable it.