'exit' closes all windows

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

bijugc wrote:Giving wat people want !!!

If u want to disable Exit, try <a href=http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/quicktools/QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi>QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi</a>

or to change as close window, try <a href=http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/quicktools/QuickToolsExit2Close.xpi>QuickToolsExit2Close.xpi</a>

I thought we were talking about how an average end-user would react to Firebird closing all windows unexpectedly.

A Firebird hacker will customize it to his liking in 5 minutes, no worries here.

A beginner however may just say fuckit and go back to using IE 6. For the simple reason that when you run into such a stupidity during the first 2 minutes of getting accustomed to the new program, chances are you'll get more stupidities in future, while with IE you always get (more or less) what you expect.
MechR

Post by MechR »

*Points to above post*

Classic Netscape had it right; with Close and Exit right next to each other on the File menu, there's a clear difference between the two, and with a "Close all windows?" warning when you press Exit, people will figure it out.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

bijugc wrote:Giving wat people want !!!
Why a big debt for a simple thing

Here are two extensions, use only ONE

If u want to disable Exit, try <a href=http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/quicktools/QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi>QuickToolsDisableExit.xpi</a>

NICE! Thanks very much--that's one less editing chore I have to do.

Could you possibly add a variation that disables the hideous "open in tabs"?
jiv

Post by jiv »

I remember reading through 10 pages of the first discussion and finding it about where we are. Still... I don't really mind seeing it come up again.

It seems like the best compromise, mentioned then and now, is a confirmation dialog. I would only ask that it have a checkbox (like the default browser and secure-page warnings) allowing it to be disabled.

Chris, asquithea: you two seem to be the main proponents of either viewpoint. From either perspective, what would be bad about such a change? It would prevent dataloss and retain functionality; is that so bad?
djst

Post by djst »

jiv wrote:It seems like the best compromise, mentioned then and now, is a confirmation dialog. I would only ask that it have a checkbox (like the default browser and secure-page warnings) allowing it to be disabled.

No. Dialogs are annoying and should be avoided whenever possible. Firebird should just follow the standard: Exit should close its own window, not other windows.
MechR

Post by MechR »

Eh. Others would say that dialogs can be lifesavers. I still think being able to close all windows at once is a useful feature.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

djst wrote:No. Dialogs are annoying and should be avoided whenever possible. Firebird should just follow the standard: Exit should close its own window, not other windows.

Yes on that front, but TBE's close-all-tabs dialogue has saved my life several times. It's probably the only "are you sure you want to exit?" dialogue I've ever not hated.

- Chris

PS "standard". On Windows. Hee hee.
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Surely the top RH "X" suffices to close any program? Isn't the majority of this thread fashioned upon paranoic preferences? One contributor cited the fact he felt a program did not necessarily close fully unless there was a specific "exit" command...

Ooooer... this is getting a little frightening... has sanity deserted a few people here completely?

FB offers tab *and* program closing options on the toolbars, there's really no need for duplication in the sub-menus... else we'll all be going back in time towards the M$ perception of calling another way to crack the same nut "an extra feature..."

Hmmm... simple is efficient...
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

You're missing the point I think. The menu option goes further than the X in the top-right; it will actually shut entirely different windows on your desktop. Which is an anachronistic annoyance.

- Chris
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Apols... l run FB with single instance (window) usually, so point taken... but wow, what an extended thread none-the-less...

A requirement of FB is that all users are nocturnal...

Pass me another carrot please Ed...
Erikro

Post by Erikro »

Damned lost all information :-) when i clicked on the black cross right up. To find out it is a feature, looks like MS/IE.
They say FF is more advanced then FF, i just switched from M to FF and it however FF is advanced, sometimes i see things that are so unfriendly". The good old GOD complex that may IT'ers have "Users are stupid, we tell the users what theyshould want"

Isnt it possible to make a option in FF you can select:
1. Always close all tabbed windows without asking confirmation
2. Always ask confirmation before closing all tabbed windows.
d00gs

Post by d00gs »

Isn't the simplest solution to just say "quit", instead of "exit"?
The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up.
scratch

Post by scratch »

that won't help anything. people will make the same mistake, and that's not the convention in other apps anyway.
Erikro

Post by Erikro »

So true, just lost 20 painfuully searched pages.
I call this feature "the click of dead"