Forward and Back using Logitech MX1000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Suicidal Zebra

Forward and Back using Logitech MX1000

Post by Suicidal Zebra »

Lo gents

I am using a Logitech MX1000 with Windows XP Home, and in Firefox (0.9.3) the Forwards and Backwards buttons do not work. They do however work in IE.

Any ideas on how to get them to work?

Cheers in advance.
James

Re: Forward and Back using Logitech MX1000

Post by James »

All Logitch mouses which use SetPoint™:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Logitech_mouse

Logitech Unveils the World´s First Laser Mouse.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/news/ ... 89,crid=34
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9043
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ,CRID=2090

____________________________________________________________________________________

****The recent SetPoint™ software is said to support Mozilla/Firefox browsers now. US version

Hmm it says it uses the SetPoint™ software so it may be like the workarounds for the MX900 Bluetooth?

Some suggested fixes I have seen to try:
Back/forward: bind the buttons to alt+left arrow and alt+right arrow.

Set back/forward and the wheel to "other - generic button"

Middle click: select 'Other' and bind 'Middle Click' to it.

You may have to update the SetPoint™ software if the one on cd is older.

Edit Update:

MX1000 and FireFox: Back and Forward Button Instructions
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/di ... D=10120848
* http://img123.exs.cx/img123/5535/SetPoi ... irefox.jpg

Logitech MX1000 Back and Forward buttons don't work with the program.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259450

**Logitech > Support > Answer
How do I make the Back & Forward mouse buttons work in Firefox & Mozilla >click<

***Edit 2: Image :)

Edit 3: *added a link for those who do not want to download attachment.
Edit 4: cleaned up abit for FASQ
Edit 5: **Added Logitech support answer
edit 6: ***Changed image host as original (www.pngresource.com) site is down?
edit: **** New Setpoint supports Firefox/Mozilla?
edit: KB article
Last edited by James on September 12th, 2005, 7:22 pm, edited 9 times in total.
motoslave

Post by motoslave »

Glad to see another MX1000 user has the same problem :) . James's workarounds should work, although I also use IE and don't want to mess with remaps because it works in IE perfectly. I do have a gestures (All-in one Gestures 0.12.1) extension for Firefox though so I just use that instead....

Great mouse, BTW, I love using my belly to surf :)
SubbyJH

Post by SubbyJH »

Your belly? I have to get this mouse! :shock:
SubbyJH - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.3
motoslave

Post by motoslave »

SubbyJH wrote:Your belly? I have to get this mouse! :shock:
Hehehe, yes it's possible although I'm not sure I'll do it too often with all the questions surrounding the safety of the laser it uses. Don't want to grow a tumor or anything ;)
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

Had the same problem. But a change the buttons to "Allmän knapp" in Swedish maybe "Common button" or something. The second choice under "Other".
/ Emil (Quicktext Developer)
Suicidal Zebra

Post by Suicidal Zebra »

Yep, you're quite right guys, the work-around by binding alt+left and +right to the buttons does work. Cheers.

Yet again, it appears the Logitech are making great hardware, just sucky software. It seems pretty foolish not to support firefox/mozilla considering that it has 10% of the market even though Opera (with 2-3%) is supported.

Thanks for the help, and yeah the mouse is great. A very good upgrade to my (2 years old, blimey) MX700.

*goes off looking for third-party drivers and software*
ssstraub

Post by ssstraub »

Tip for Logitech mice: You don't need to install the software/drivers. They work fine (arguable BETTER) without the crappy software. Just plug it in and go.
scottm7

Post by scottm7 »

Unfortunately, the other buttons on the MX1000 (side scroll, cruise up, cruise down, application switch) won't work without the software.
rewe

microsoft intellimouse make sreen glittering

Post by rewe »

i ise firefox 9.2 9.3 and 0.10 i noticed on tree computers that when i use microsoft mouse intellimouse
usb /ps2 the sreen begin to glitter after a certain time and automatic hasardous clics happen while browsing or use other software

this disapears when i uninstall firefox

could someone help me about this

thanks
ringuntorygd

Post by ringuntorygd »

Associating ALT+Left Arrow and ALT+Right Arrow worked for me, too. Since the default associations on those Back and Forward buttons work with other software, is this a bug with Firefox? Has anyone opened a bug report on Bugzilla (I can't find one, but I'm no expert)?
verteron

set to generic button

Post by verteron »

I found this tidbit in the Logitech forums. In the Set Point software, set the foward and back buttons to "other," Then select "generic button" from the drop down list for both of them. This worked right away when I applied it. I am using the 2.11 setpoint software on my MX900 Bluetooth mouse. I have also just purchased the MX1000 and confirmed it works as well with it.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

The MX1000 is a very very nice mouse. The battery last for ever and I love the feel of it. Some people said it was too large but I do not agree. The one problem is that it is a bit heavy but you get used to it quick. I was having the same problem with the back/forward buttons and this worked like a charm. Thanks for your great wisdom.
jofr

Post by jofr »

I use an MX900. Thanks for the alt+arrow tip, it works brilliantly. As an added bonus, I can now sidestep (strafe) in Doom 3 with the mouse. Cool ;)
Since the default associations on those Back and Forward buttons work with other software, is this a bug with Firefox?

I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's a Firefox bug. On my pc, the default bindings work in Firefox when I am logged in as a standard user (works in ff, but not in ie), but not when I am logged in as an administrator (works in ie, but not in ff). I think there is some kind of software conflict at work here, but I haven't looked into it. The alt+arrow works fine, after all :)
Win XP Pro SP2, Firefox 1.0 PR
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
no themes, no extensions
boogs

Post by boogs »

I was on the forum to find out how to fix this very problem with my new MX1000! Thank you James for your suggestions. The ALT+Left worked like a charm for me.

By the way this is my first wireless mouse and I love it. I got it for 59 bucks for signing up for AOL at CompUSA in Bloomington, MN during my lunchbreak. What a bargain!