Bookmarks from 0.4 to 0.5

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
aebrahim

Bookmarks from 0.4 to 0.5

Post by aebrahim »

This might sound like a stupid question, but will I be able to use the same bookmarks file in 0.5 as 0.4? I know that I'll have to dump my current profile as part of the upgrade, but does this include the bookmark file as well?

Thanks.
flii

Post by flii »

- go to <i>C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\blah.slt</i> (blah = some random numbers) or your equivalent thereof (if you're using nt/200/xp)
- copy the bookmarks.html file to a safe place
- delete the phoenix folders from both your <i>application data</i> folder and your <i>program files</i> folder
- install phoenix
- open it once
- close it once it's opened
- then place the bookmarks.html file back in it's spot in the app data folder (overwriting the newly-installed version of the bookmarks).

presto!
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

Flii wrote:- go to <i>C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\blah.slt</i> (blah = some random numbers) or your equivalent thereof (if you're using nt/200/xp)
- delete the phoenix folders from both your <i>application data</i> folder and your <i>program files</i> folder
- install phoenix
- open it once
- then place the bookmarks.html file back in it's spot in the app data folder (overwriting the newly-installed version of the bookmarks).

presto!

Thanks, I realise what the procedure is. My question is really if its safe to do this between major revisions of the software (say 0.4 to 0.5). Has the bookmark.html format changed since 0.4?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

It's not very likely that the bookmarks format will change any time soon to one that is totally incompatible (it's just HTML after all). If you want to be on the safe side, additionally use the export function of the Bookmarks Manager in 0.4 to make a backup and re-import this into 0.5 if the aforementioned method causes any problems. You will probably have to rearrange them after this procedure, but it should be safe in any case.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

aebrahim wrote:
Flii wrote:- go to <i>C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\blah.slt</i> (blah = some random numbers) or your equivalent thereof (if you're using nt/200/xp)
- install phoenix
- open it once

presto!

Thanks, I realise what the procedure is. My question is really if its safe to do this between major revisions of the software (say 0.4 to 0.5). Has the bookmark.html format changed since 0.4?

The format for booksmarks.html has been stable for a long time. The main problem is when a bug is introduced, like there was with favicons. In which case carrying your bookmarks forward will carry the bug forward. That was the only problem with bookmarks that I've come across, and someone gave instructions on how to manually scrub it with notepad.

I carry my userChrome, userContents, user.js and bookmarks forward. Actually, my user.js points to my bookmarks file in a different location so that I don't have to back it up.
brab

Post by brab »

alanjstr wrote:The format for booksmarks.html has been stable for a long time. The main problem is when a bug is introduced, like there was with favicons. In which case carrying your bookmarks forward will carry the bug forward. That was the only problem with bookmarks that I've come across, and someone gave instructions on how to manually scrub it with notepad.

I carry my userChrome, userContents, user.js and bookmarks forward. Actually, my user.js points to my bookmarks file in a different location so that I don't have to back it up.

Could you point to the message explaining how to clean this bug ? I've been carrying bookmarks around for a long time, and even though I don't remember anything weird with favicons, I'd like to check this.

Thanks
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

brab wrote:
alanjstr wrote:The format for booksmarks.html has been stable for a long time. The main problem is when a bug is introduced, like there was with favicons. In which case carrying your bookmarks forward will carry the bug forward. That was the only problem with bookmarks that I've come across, and someone gave instructions on how to manually scrub it with notepad.

Could you point to the message explaining how to clean this bug ? I've been carrying bookmarks around for a long time, and even though I don't remember anything weird with favicons, I'd like to check this.

Thanks

I couldn't find the thread, but I know it was a response from Asa to a question I had asked. Maybe the Search doesn't go back far enough. If I remember correctly, the gist was:

Close your browser. Manually edit your bookmarks file to remove the favion= pieces. Save and close.
brab

Post by brab »

alanjstr wrote:I couldn't find the thread, but I know it was a response from Asa to a question I had asked. Maybe the Search doesn't go back far enough. If I remember correctly, the gist was:

Close your browser. Manually edit your bookmarks file to remove the favion= pieces. Save and close.

Well, since I just got a bunch of ICON=..., I guess it must have been cleaned up at some point.

Thanks for the tip.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

brab wrote:
alanjstr wrote:I couldn't find the thread, but I know it was a response from Asa to a question I had asked. Maybe the Search doesn't go back far enough. If I remember correctly, the gist was:

Well, since I just got a bunch of ICON=..., I guess it must have been cleaned up at some point.

Thanks for the tip.

Maybe it was icon=. I dunno. I cleaned it up and blocked favicons via user.js.

Asa?
djk

faviconwipe.pl

Post by djk »

I whipped up a perl script to purge the ICON links from the bookmarks.html file:

<code>#!/usr/bin/perl -w

local $^I = ".orig";
local @ARGV = ("bookmarks.html");
while (<>)
{
s/ ICON="http:\/\/\S*"//g;
print;
}</code>

Just run it in the directory you have the bookmarks.html file in. It worked for me (w32 cygwin)
brab

Re: faviconwipe.pl

Post by brab »

djk wrote:I whipped up a perl script to purge the ICON links from the bookmarks.html file:

It worked, but the favicons are coming back later. Why do I want to block them anyway ? (in other words, what is the bug with favicons ?)

Thanks for the help.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

brab wrote:
djk wrote:I whipped up a perl script to purge the ICON links from the bookmarks.html file:

It worked, but the favicons are coming back later. Why do I want to block them anyway ? (in other words, what is the bug with favicons ?)

Thanks for the help.

I think the bug was with how it was storing them in the bookmarks file. Favicons themselves are not a problem, I just don't find them useful.
djk

Post by djk »

brab wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I was just referring to a fix to the existing bad favicons, which were placed there by a bug which has now been fixed.

Turning off favicons is in one or more prefs, but I can't remember what they are.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

djk wrote:Turning off favicons is in one or more prefs, but I can't remember what they are.

user_pref("browser.chrome.favicons", false);
user_pref("browser.chrome.site_icons", false);