Competing with Google Chrome

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Omega X

Re: Competing with Google Chrome

Post by Omega X »

I'm still waiting for them to combine the search bar and the Location Bar. One day it'll be done I hope Aza Raskin.

I noticed that the Chromium team took his concept and built into Chrome 3.0 Dev.
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

Hmm, oh yeah Firefox 3.5 does look a bit better! I also stripped a lot of my add-ons from it as they were slowing it down loads.

Incidentally, does anybody know how I change the default search that my main address bar uses? I know how to change the default search of the search box, just not the address bar :)

I will still use FF from time to time, I'll see which grips me more ^_^
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

Omega X wrote:I'm still waiting for them to combine the search bar and the Location Bar. One day it'll be done I hope Aza Raskin.

You mean it'll go back to being like Mozilla Suite was? Like SeaMonkey still is?
There's discussion in the SeaMonkey world about how to implement Smart Location Bar function into autocompletion, and I tried with my input to relate it to how location bar searching works now and what I'm hoping to see down the road. I like Firefox's flexibility when it comes to swapping search providers and generally access to search management, but I'd rather just flip that button around and stick it on the end of the location bar. I don't like the redundant text boxes, and I am actually disappointed that the rest of the browser world has pretty much followed Firefox.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Not exactly like Mozilla Suite or Seamonkey, but a lot more intuitive. I think they call it Taskfox now.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Taskfox/Past_Designs
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

WOW... I see that there's lots of feelings about this. This may not be specific to the topic title but...it kind of is....

I do wonder though about the millions of every day users of a browser. Those who are not tech-based and just want to use a browser to do the job correctly and to also have some fun with it by some simple arrangement of visual format and by adding some convenient management/browsing tools. I believe that's the majority of users out there using a browser.

Of course I used IE for many years and frankly I switch/tried out Firefox because I read where one could block adds etc. FOR FREE! I did not know anything else about it.

I also tried Chrome and found that it was ok (small letters intentional) but it seems more intrusive to my system and I thought that "here's another app. trying to control me" and my computer. Thoughts of IE came to mind.

At one time or another I've tried out most browsers (not recently though).

What I've found... Firefox may start up a little slower at times for my laptop but who cares if it takes a few more seconds to do that.... I just take another sip of coffee or go take a leak :) ... no big deal... no reason for me to get all stressed out. The community of addons is extremely interesting and I use 43 of them to make my "relationship" with Firefox (relationship!!...boy do I need Sandra Bullock to knock on my door or what!) more pleasurable (Sandra again) and nope, I don't like the default theme but there are a ton of ways to change that or to just install one of the many themes available.

Unless Mozilla does something realllly stupid (and they are not stupid) I will continue to use Firefox because I, as a everyday general user of a browser, find that I enjoy using it, so if Mozilla remembers that word "enjoy" when comparisons to other browsers are made I feel that Firefox will continue to grow... if users don't enjoy the experience then they will go away. Enjoy = Works as needed.

PS... when I think of all the dialog here (very small section of it) and in other sections of this entire board where the taste of those statements are "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" I move my thoughts to a main area of reality... it's FREE!

I also think of people losing their homes, jobs, starving, dying and the worlds economy tanking and compare some of that stuff to the "crisis" posts I often read. "Don't sweat the small stuff" is what I say....bigger things are out there to get excited about.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Omega X wrote:I'm still waiting for them to combine the search bar and the Location Bar. One day it'll be done I hope Aza Raskin.

Personally, I honestly cannot believe that "question mark, space, keyword" doesn't automatically send you to the search engine you have selected in your search bar. There are add-ons to manually pick the search engine by typing "y space keyword" and "g space keyword" but that just seems like something out of the gopher past and not the ubiquitous future. "Question mark space" is so intuitive that it actually offends me that it does nothing and that there isn't even an add-on that makes it a functional feature. Am I just crazy or is an Obvious Something not on par with the multitude of "needless features" like keywords for searching the bookmarks (something awesome bar does anyway) that my brain can't even be bothered with considering using?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
giselleceballos

Post by giselleceballos »

Ever Since I first installed Firefox, I have never ever used any other web browser. I happened to download the real player and Chrom got installed with it. I used it a little bit. I found it faster but still i am so used to Firefox now that i cannot open any other browser to get online. FireFox rocks!!!
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

Omega X wrote:I'm still waiting for them to combine the search bar and the Location Bar.

Like the Omnibar extension do? :?:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
Amellie07

Post by Amellie07 »

Hey Guys,

I've been using firefox as my browser for almost a year and a half now and I find it really good for me. Yeah it's a bit slow but it's okay, I just customized my add ons to make it better.

I downloaded Google Chrome, I tried using it like twice or trice just to check on it, it looks good really but I am still for the firefox browser. Its firefox or never. :)
jenniferjorman1

Post by jenniferjorman1 »

Yes, I agree- blocking ads is a major advantage of Firefox over Chrome. I like Chrome also, but I can't stand the ads!!

Jennifer
[url=http:/practicebuildingcenter.com]chiropractic marketing[/url]
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

jenniferjorman1,
The link in your forum signature, because it is to a commercial website, can and will be considered spam. We have zero tolerance for spam here. Please remove it. faq.php?mode=rules#f4r13
patrickjdempsey

The 4.0 mockups:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Wi ... me_Mockups

This makes me very very very sad. If I wanted to use a web-browser with a difficult to use and stuffy interface I would already be using Chrome. I think the only things I like in this mockup is the combined Go / Reload / Stop button, and the way the search is integrated into the Urlbar (although how this is activated is not clear), but otherwise everything else stinks of unoriginal and boring. What happened to this big push towards OS theme integration? It seems strange to me for Mozilla to dedicate so much time and money and integrity into making 3.0 blend into the various operating systems only to abandon that approach to to copy the look of a competitor's browser. I would much rather have seen the interface follow a logical evolution using the still very recognizable designs from Winstripe instead of this wholesale design sharing. And with all of these not-so-subtle interface changes, I suspect that it will take theme designers months to retool their themes only a year after expending so much energy on building 3.0/3.5 themes. I'm all for progress, but are lemmings really that progressive just because they keep moving forward? I'd much rather see Mozilla having interesting ORIGINAL ideas and pushing for those.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

I keep hearing the buzz word "simplified interface" but I don't see that here... I see a cluttered interface like IE. What is the "Page" button? is that the tab dropdown list button made into a huge space wasting and confusingly titled button? And what's with the bookmarks toolbar being made into a button? Users who want to have all of their bookmarks toolbar items made into one button can already do that in about 3 seconds by making a folder called "bookmarks" and throwing everything in there. Or is this a replacement for the menubar Bookmarks? Is this a weird Chrome feature? It certainly doesn't follow the UI specs of ANY known UI on the planet. Same with the "tools" button a suppose... a non-UI-compliant and seemingly ANCHORED menu presumably filled with submenus? Jeez. How about just keep the text menus with the option to hide them like Hide Menubar does? That makes more sense than compressing the menu into submenus and then anchoring the submenu in an inconveinent spot. Confused and disappointed.
James

Post by James »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The 4.0 mockups:

We have a thread about the 4.0 mockups at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1363305
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

jenniferjorman1,
Since you have not removed your signature as requested, and since you have not returned, I am disabling the signature and banning you as a spammer.