Norton Internet Security and www.getfirefox.com

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
schwarz84

Norton Internet Security and www.getfirefox.com

Post by schwarz84 »

There is a problem on the www.getfirefox.com page.
If people are using Norton Internet Security and have enabled the program that filters out banner ads from web sites, the download button on www.getfirefox.com doesn't show. This makes it practically impossible to download Firefox.
I am using Norton Internet Security 2004.

Can anybody confirm this?
sard

Post by sard »

Norton ad filtering is crap. It breaks the smile.co.uk internet bank site too.
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

On the contrary I find NIS ad filtering to be excellent, you just need to turn it off for certain sites when it can ID something incorrectly as an advertisement.

You need to go into the sites settings in NIS and disable ads for that site because it thinks the download banner is an ad, if you have the NIS toolbar enabled in IE while on the http://www.getfirefox.com/ site you should be able to select "allow ads on this site" from a drop down box.

Otherwise you have to go into the main interface from their to privacy & control (I think, I have 2005 not 2004 but I was using it for a while) and their should be an advanced settings button and in their search for mozilla.org in the site list and click on the site content tabs and override the default settings and enable ads for that site.

And finally you can always just click the "turn off" ad filtering button in the main interface and download Firefox and turn it back on if you wish.
moskimus

Post by moskimus »

Here's an idea though. WE know the button should be there, but what about Joe IE User who just came to download Firefox, and now doesn't see any way to do so. I don't have NIS so I can't test this, but from what it sounds like, the download button simply doesn't appear? Is there some sort of box or notification that NIS has blocked it?
zcorpan

Post by zcorpan »

Perhaps the webdesigner of getfirefox.com should prevent using any common "ad-strings", then it will not be blocked...