yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 130

General E

Eh ...

Post by General E »

As with me, I'm so amazingly content with Eudora (which is free nowadays), that I'm pretty ambivalent towards Thunderbird. I'd prefer to see Phoenix acquire a more complete array of Preference options before I'd want a new mail client.

However, I will be one of the first to give Thunderbird a go. I'm getting Pegasus now for a trial run (hadn't heard of it till now)

(incidentally, kudos to Dave for a nice post. People who are getting cool, free software from the work of others shouldn't complain too much)
chrisMage

Post by chrisMage »

thumperward wrote:No. Eventually all Moz-based apps will using a shared runtime, but not currently.

- Chris

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Phoenix and Thunderbird created to get away from the bloatedness of it all? If you want shared resources, use mozilla; It has everything you'll ever need.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That's the point though. To have a Mozilla backend which doesn't have any browser, mail, IRC etc.-related stuff in it, so that you can run everything off of the same backend code. Currently Mozilla's one monolithic suite where it's all or nothing. Having it as separate apps sharing XUL and Gecko runtimes mean you can have as little or as much as you want, and any new apps built using Mozilla can also tie into the same backend.

- Chris
tmb

Post by tmb »

Neil Parks wrote:While you are waiting for Thunderbird, check out another mythological flying critter: Pegasus.

Wipes up the floor with Outhouse Distress. Find it at www.pmail.com .

Yeah, I tried Pegasus and eudora, but pegasus was too difficult for me to figure out (don't think I know nothing about computers- did you write a program when you were 7?" and eudora will use IE to display HTML mail and I need something that dosen't work with klez :lol:
General E

Post by General E »

tmb wrote:Yeah, I tried Pegasus and eudora, but pegasus was too difficult for me to figure out (don't think I know nothing about computers- did you write a program when you were 7?" and eudora will use IE to display HTML mail and I need something that dosen't work with klez :lol:

Eudora, in the Viewing Mail option under tools->settings, you can enable/disable Microsoft's mail viewer in favor of Eudora's built-in viewer, as well as disable executables in HTML mail and lots of other goodies.
tmb

Post by tmb »

Last time I downloaded eudora, It was ad supported
General E

It can be

Post by General E »

tmb wrote:Last time I downloaded eudora, It was ad supported

You can choose to run it in "light" mode with no ads. The ads are in a tiny window in the bottom left and, I've found, do little to detract from its use. However, I'm a Eudora fan from 5+ years back, so I actually paid for it (you get full features with no ads then). I say download it, try it in light mode, switch to ad mode to see what you're missing and if you want those features. If I recall, Eudora is unable to gather any of your actual e-mail info in ad mode and send it off. And no popups, of course.
tmb

Post by tmb »

BUT I want full functionality free without ads
General E

Depends on what you want

Post by General E »

See, functionality is a relative term. I went 3.5 years using "light" Eudora and never saw ads, because it was all I ever needed. I upgraded because I liked the product, but, for the life of me, I can't think of one "advanced" feature I've ever used that I didn't have access to before.

So, as I said, it's worth a go. You install it, select "light" at install, and you'll never see an ad ever. See if its enough for you.

I've been playing with Pegasus all day. I enjoy it. Not looking like a Eudora replacement for me, per se, but it's neat.
Last edited by General E on November 7th, 2002, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tve

Post by tve »

now, until Thunderbird is released, I use TheBat!, iScribe is great too, probably the "lightest" client for windows... and if TB is good (what I think it is), I'll switch to that 8)
old Neil Parks

Flight of the phoenix

Post by old Neil Parks »

Somewhere in one of these forums I read that there is a freeware win32 email client called Phoenix.

Don't remember where the post was or what the URL was to d/l the pgm.
tve

Re: Flight of the phoenix

Post by tve »

Neil Parks wrote:Somewhere in one of these forums I read that there is a freeware win32 email client called Phoenix.

Don't remember where the post was or what the URL was to d/l the pgm.

yes, I used it a while ago before the Phoenix Browser was out, but didnt like it too much, for some reason...

http://phxmail.sourceforge.net/
tmb

Post by tmb »

Last edited by tmb on November 12th, 2012, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

I voted NO because MailNews need to have "Zaro bugs found" before a new project can be started.
But, this is only my opinion because I use MailNews a *lot*
scratch

Post by scratch »

oliversl wrote:I voted NO because MailNews need to have "Zaro bugs found" before a new project can be started.
But, this is only my opinion because I use MailNews a *lot*

Um... Mozilla Browser has a lot more than "zaro bugs" yet a lot of people still seem to like it and Phoenix...