Cross-browser bookmarks

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Vomit

Cross-browser bookmarks

Post by Vomit »

Is it possible to use the same bookmarks for Phoenix and IE without having to constantly import and export? Using the same folder for both would be fine, but it would also be nice to have them stored in the same order.
While we're on the subject, is there any way to just drag and drop the bookmarks to re-order them (IE-style)? Having to go into "Manage bookmarks" all the time is a pain (and one of the reasons it's taken me so long to switch to Phoenix).
Any other info along these lines would be helpful too.
flii

Post by flii »

i know <b>exactly</b> what you mean by not liking the bookmark manager and wanting to do it the ie way. i brought this up when i was new to phoenix as (remarkably similar to you) a reason i wasn't switching over (though i have since then). i'm not quite sure if we'll be allowed to move folders around in the future, but i know we can move individual links anywhere we want without going through the manager. it's something, i guess. if i couldn't even move at least the links, i wouldn't have switched. it's one of my peeves, i suppose.

i'm not sure if you can use the same bookmarks for both browsers or not, however. i eagerly await a response to that question. :) that would really be nice. i still use ie to view shockwave and flash pages, because i don't want phoenix to dl those. that way i don't have to view certain ads. hehe. i love not having those installed *almost* as much as i love the built-in popup blocker.
alanjstr

Re: Cross-browser bookmarks

Post by alanjstr »

Vomit wrote:Is it possible to use the same bookmarks for Phoenix and IE without having to constantly import and export? Using the same folder for both would be fine, but it would also be nice to have them stored in the same order.
While we're on the subject, is there any way to just drag and drop the bookmarks to re-order them (IE-style)? Having to go into "Manage bookmarks" all the time is a pain (and one of the reasons it's taken me so long to switch to Phoenix).
Any other info along these lines would be helpful too.

Use K-Meleon.
djst

Post by djst »

Flii wrote:i know <b>exactly</b> what you mean by not liking the bookmark manager and wanting to do it the ie way. i brought this up when i was new to phoenix as (remarkably similar to you) a reason i wasn't switching over (though i have since then). i'm not quite sure if we'll be allowed to move folders around in the future [...]

Actually, if you hold Shift down, you can move a folder. But beware, it's a bit buggy (sometimes you can accidentally move a folder to a sub-folder and then you have to open the manager to get it back to the original location).
flii

Re: Cross-browser bookmarks

Post by flii »

alanjstr wrote:
Vomit wrote:Is it possible to use the same bookmarks for <b><i>Phoenix and IE</i></b> without having to constantly import and export?

Use K-Meleon.

kmeleon does not = phoenix. lol. i think they share all of three letters.

@david
it's not like i'm not already having to use the bookmark manager. ;) buggy is better than nothing at all, though nonbuggy nonshift would of course be preferable. lol. thanks for the tip. i'll actually use it, i'm sure.
JediJawa

IE

Post by JediJawa »

I don't see why it would be hard to implement something check and compare your IE favorites to your PX favorites, but I doubt PX will start writing and creating files in a IE directory any time soon.

PX/Moz's bookmark format is annoying as well, can we get XBEL? :)
alanjstr

Re: IE

Post by alanjstr »

JediJawa wrote:I don't see why it would be hard to implement something check and compare your IE favorites to your PX favorites, but I doubt PX will start writing and creating files in a IE directory any time soon.

PX/Moz's bookmark format is annoying as well, can we get XBEL? :)

There is already a Bugzilla bug filed about modernizing the bookmarks file.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55057

Maybe when they hit 2.0.