can't surf localhost

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
engwar

can't surf localhost

Post by engwar »

Hi, I'm new to phoenix so pardon me if this question has already been asked a million times. I didn't see it in the FAQs and did some searches in the forum but haven't seen the answer.

I like what I've seen of Phoenix so far. The only trouble I have with it is when I try to view a web page on my local machine. I type in http://localhost and get the following error...

I'm running IIS on Windows2000. Do I need to configure my browser or my server to be able to surf locally? No error in IE or Navigator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

\You are not authorized to view this page
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

Please try the following:

* Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
* If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the localhost home page.

HTTP 401.3 - Access denied by ACL on resource
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* More information:
Microsoft Support
Mook

Post by Mook »

That's weird. Just out of curiousity, are you using a proxy? The only thing I can thnk of is that you are using a proxy what also happens to have an IIS server (on its localhost), and have set IE / NS to bypass the proxy on localhost, but not Phoenix.
You shouldn't see a difference on localhost across apps using the same credentials... But then again I don't have a local HTTP server set up, so this is just theoritical.
jonasj

Re: can't surf localhost

Post by jonasj »

engwar wrote:I type in http://localhost and get the following error...

[...]

HTTP 401.3 - Access denied by ACL on resource
Internet Information Services

This is an IIS problem, not a Phoenix one.

Locate the root folder of your web site (I believe the IIS default is c:\inetpub\wwwroot). Properties. Security tab. Make sure that "Internet Guest Account (IUSR_machinename)" has at least Read permissions.

If that didn't help, go Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Internet Services Manager. Expand your computer. Open properties of your site. Directory Security tab. Hit the Edit button in the Anonymous access and auth control section. Make sure that Anonymous Access is checked and that -- click the Edit button -- the selected account is IUSR_machinename.

If you don't want to allow anonymous access, you could try using basic authentication, if you can get it to work. Integrated Windows Authentication will *not* do -- it's IE only. (But you can safely allow anonymous access if you're behind a firewall, which you most definitely, certainly, positively ought to be if you're running IIS.)

(And here I am, brain the size of the universe, in the forum that I would *least* expect to catch myself doing IIS support in, and what am I doing? You guessed it: IIS support. Yes, I have no life.)