Help us take back the web.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Muad_Dib

Re: Firefox and the elderly

Post by Muad_Dib »

colwyn wrote:I live in a retirment village, I put in an ADSL connerction for residents on three computers and because of their lack of knowledge on security etc I did not want them using IE in fact I hid all reference to it and installed Firefox, the users are in their 70s and no one has any problems either with Firefox or Thudnerbird

So you think your alright with this for security then do you! Interesting I hope this works for you as I cannot see why this is any different to IE as surely you still have to keep Firewalls and Virus programmes otherwise you will soon be in trouble. I guess the security for Firefox itself is better as the hackers are not to bothered about so this would be true! As for hiding all reference to IE as long as it is always updated their should be no problem. Again it depends on what site they go on you will find sometimes Firefox will not work it may open the site especially competition sites as so many of these it is not accepted on. Also when you have to update your computers for windows you may have to use IE. Good Luck
Why! oh Why! are instructions to software so vague? and assumes everyone knows how to use them. Whatever happened to plain english help? Telling someone to move something from and to a new folder/area is not helpful if you don't know where they are in the first place. lol.
kk5st

Re: Firefox and the elderly

Post by kk5st »

Muad_Dib wrote:
colwyn wrote:<snip>

So you think your alright with this for security then do you! Interesting I hope this works for you as I cannot see why this is any different to IE as surely you still have to keep Firewalls and Virus programmes otherwise you will soon be in trouble.
Of course. That's basic. As to how that's different than IE, or Outlook/OE, or Word for that matter, read on.
I guess the security for Firefox itself is better as the hackers are not to bothered about so this would be true!
According to a recent FBI/CERT report (you can look it up—Google is your friend), the number and variety of attacks is highly related to the number of vulnerabilities and not to an application's ubiquity. That might explain why there are so many attacks on IIS and so few on Apache, which serves 2/3+ of all web sites and more web pages than all other web servers combined.
As for hiding all reference to IE as long as it is always updated their (sic) should be no problem.
Only if you're running Win XP. Everyone else, including Mac users, have been abandoned. If past history is any predictor of future performance, I wouldn't depend on that.
Again it depends on what site they go on you will find sometimes Firefox will not work it may open the site especially competition sites as so many of these it is not accepted on.
Er, um. I think I know what you mean. Yes, there are sites that depend on IE proprietary tags and (mis)behavior, including ActiveX. IE with ActiveX enabled is a security risk. ActiveX disabled means the user must diddle with security settings and white lists; is he that knowledgeable? Otherwise if the web author sniffs browsers and refuses to serve to non-IE, then customers are driven off when in fact, most browsers would handle the site well enough anyway. I consider these web authors incompetent and lazy.
Also when you have to update your computers for windows you may have to use IE. Good Luck
I believe another poster addressed this.

IE is obsolete, buggy, non-standards-compliant, and (historically) a walking security vulnerability. There is no sane reason not to switch to a modern browser. Pick one; Moz/Gecko family, Opera, or the khtml family. They are each and every one better and safer than IE.

cheers,

gary
…there is no publishing concept so simple that money, knowledge of HTML arcana, and graphic design can't make slow, confusing, and painful for users.
–Greenspun, MIT
CableModem

Post by CableModem »

My Left Hand wrote:
MaDFox wrote:I know lots of people who barely know what a Internet browser is....that is one reason because I don't install it to customers, Does "Mozilla Firefox" give you any hint of what it is or does??...I think not

neither does "Safari" but people learn, give them some time.

Not really. I see many Mac OS X users using IE. Safari is right under their noses, but they just don't know what it does. When I click on it to use the Internet ,they say "Oh. I never had the time to open it. I never knew it was like IE" The next day, they are using Safari! So, the name has to be logical
Last edited by CableModem on November 11th, 2004, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaby

Post by gaby »

MaDFox wrote:I know lots of people who barely know what a Internet browser is....that is one reason because I don't install it to customers, Does "Mozilla Firefox" give you any hint of what it is or does??...I think not

biggest problem, also the biggest gain if it's fixed.

system in not fool-proof. I have to think navigating the site and that pisses me off. hehehe
gaby

Post by gaby »

Tazmaster wrote:I hate to say it, but this is a bad idea.

You want to take back the Internet, but you're going to wind up feeding them all back to IE if you push the product now. Too much still needs to be done for FF to be accepted by the masses. You push it in everyone's face now, they won't be willing to come back and try it out again in a coupe of months when it's finally been made more "average user friendly".

BTW - This isn't intended as a flame. It's just a very honest opinion.

Didn't come to help develop (would have) thought it was all finished.

There was planetary hipe :P were is my browser???? hahaha

I'm glad it was mentioned before. :)
Yacow

Post by Yacow »

Blake, congratulations on the release of Firefox 1.0, and congratulations on the great success you've had with spreading the word about Firefox.

While I agree that there are a few issues that could be ironed out in Firefox, I think it is still mature enough to be exposed to the world. And face it, it might be now or never. Right now, there is a lot of focus on security, and people are looking away from Internet Explorer to find more secure alternatives. Firefox is ready to take that role with the release of version 1.0. This is a chance which cannot be missed. Internet Explorer gets a lot of negative publicity, so now's the time to let the world know that, hey, there are alternatives you know!

The goal, in the end, must not be to take over the world, but to give people choice. If the majority of the market is shared between, say, MSIE, Firefox, Safari and Opera, and neither of these have the majority of the market, then any security flaws will have a far smaller impact. This is a good thing!

Keep spreading the word about Firefox and other alternative browsers. Now's the time to do it.
gaby

Post by gaby »

I think it is still mature enough to be exposed to the world

I don't:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 297#962297
fiar faux

Post by fiar faux »

Until you give us a Mac forum, us Apple users shalt NOT comply.
dowlingm

Post by dowlingm »

Could another sticky be created? This would have

a) a website which says it doesn't support Mozilla or Firefox
b) a "contact us" link

If everybody who reads the sticky contacts the companies concerned with a polite message, they might get their act together.

Here's my starter:
a) www.aircanada.com
b) http://tinyurl.com/6a248
c) aircanada.com claims to support only Internet Explorer 6 and Netscape 7. Other browsers have a message displayed saying they are not compatible and directing them to Netscape or IE.

The Mozilla and Firefox browsers are derivatives of Netscape - in fact Netscape 7 is a derivative of Mozilla's (www.mozilla.org) code due to the relationship between the two operations.

Please consider testing aircanada.com with Mozilla 1.7.3 and Firefox 1.0 so that users who avoid using Internet Explorer due to its many vulnerabilities can use aircanada.com with confidence.

Thank you.
MORA

Post by MORA »

Yes, I think a massive standards-evangelism community-campaign should be next on the list of SpreadFirefox initiatives (just make sure that the feedback message is polite; no need to insult webmasters, even if they are incompetent).

Here's another one for Dutch readers: http://www.klmairmiles.nl. You'll need to fire-up IE to be able to view the site, however, the contact-form on this page seems to work in Firefox too.
They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them - Winnie the Pooh
dowlingm

Air Canada's response

Post by dowlingm »

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why does aircanada.com not support Mozilla or Firefox web browsers

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Air Canada Web Team) - 12/16/2004 11:37 AM
Dear Mark Dowling,

Thank you for visiting our site.

Although FireFox, Safari and/or Mozilla are not supported, they should successfully work on aircanada.com

If you require further assistance, we recommend you contact the Technical Support Desk as they can best assist you in this regard:
1-888-712-7786 in Canada and the US or (514) 350-1086 worldwide
Hours of operation: 7 days/week
08:00-24:00 Eastern

Feedback from our valued customers is important and your comments and suggestions are appreciated, as it enables us to monitor the quality of our products and services.

Your correspondence has been forwarded to our web design team for their review and future consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.