Can't sign out of Hotmail ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
JoeN

Can't sign out of Hotmail ?

Post by JoeN »

This JUST started, using FF ver. 3.5.4

When I tried to sign out of Hotmail I get a message saying I HAVE to enable 3rd party cookies in order to complete the "sign out", I have never had 3rd party cookies enabled nor do I want them enabled - so what gives
dove29

Re: Can't sign out of Hotmail ?

Post by dove29 »

I got the same message. There is no way I want to allow that. I just re-started Firefox but it didn't shut down & re-start easily. Hope there's a good work-around, b/c all my family can remember is my hotmail account & I need to stay in touch.
JoeN

Post by JoeN »

OK, I'm not alone in this - how about some help -

Thanks
roparr2

Post by roparr2 »

Allow the third party cookies, log out, then throw them out of your cookies cache. Tools>Options>privacy>show cookies. They can't track you if there are no cookies.
Self-built: Win XP Pro SP3/ 3 GB RAM/ 3GHZ P4 dual core 32-bit
Backup: Self-built--Win XP Pro SP3 P3 750 MHZ
FF 3.5.6 / TB 2.0.0.23 - 3 POP3 accounts --- Originally joined 2004
JoeN

Post by JoeN »

Yes, I can do that, actually you can set up to have 3rd party cookies automatically removed when you close out FF

I went into my Hotmail acct. through IE8 and had NO problems signing out ???

My wifes computer is set up just like mine, I checked her Hotmail acct. in FF - NO problems signing out

No problems with other e-mail acct.'s, G-mail, Yahoo

So maybe it is a "Hotmail " issue ???

Anymore ideas - anyone
roparr2

Post by roparr2 »

Don't forget Hotmail is owned by Microsoft. :twisted:
dove29

Post by dove29 »

So, can you allow 3rd party cookies only from this one site, and then is there some way to get rid of the new ones? I know about the "show cookies", but some of the cookies I have now are actually good for something. The routine I know about, I have to go down the whole list & delete stuff I don't know.

How could I ever forget that Hotmail is owned by Microsoft when it acts up like this?

(I'll spare you all a rant, there's a game on.)
roparr2

Post by roparr2 »

I never allow 3rd party cookies, except in situations like yours. They're generally from ad companies. After that one, uncheck "allow 3rd etc." Sort out your existing cookies manually, then use Cookie Monster to handle your cookie permissions. It's easier to do this with clicks on your status bar CM button.
dove29

Post by dove29 »

Someone I know suggested using IE Tab, using the "IE" setting. This turned out to work - sort of. I can log out. However - I now see all the ads and wind up with eight or ten tracking cookies. (Is this a problem with IE Tab?)

It also does not solve the other problem - what to do when using another computer away from home (a big reason for wanting to use Hotmail in the first place.)

Maybe just making Hotmail the last stop & shutting it down is the only option in that case?
Franadora

Post by Franadora »

IE Tab is IE. So anything you see in IE, you see in IE Tab.
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
dbugz

Post by dbugz »

You need to clear your cookies I thinks if you want to delete it manualy. It's under tools > option
JoeN

Post by JoeN »

OK, after doing some research on this, and finding very little, I tend to agree with roparr2, I believe this is a M$ / Windows Live ID / Hotmail problem, NOT a Firefox problem -

The page that comes up when clicking on the "sign-out" tab in Hotmail now takes me to a "Windows Live ID" page, there it states:
1 - Could not sign you out, browser blocking 3rd party cookies
2 - Close all browser windows to sign out
3 - Enable 3rd party cookies to prevent this from happening again
Try again or Done are next choices

If I select try again - same message

If I select Done - the next page I see is the MSN page I used to get when I clicked on the "sign-out" tab in Hotmail - and it appears I am signed out, because if I close out and go back to my home page then go back to Hotmail I am NOT already signed in, I have to sign in as usual -

As stated prior, there are work arounds, just would like to know why this happened - is M$ trying to force 3rd party cookies ??

Your thoughts please -

Thanks

Joe
dove29

Post by dove29 »

personally, I think MS is either trying to force 3rd party cookies, or not playing nice with Firefox, or both - since the site works in its usual sluggish fashion with IE tab. I would also like to know if there are workarounds, b/c at Windows Live (isn't that an oxymoron for ya) forum they take the complaint but nothing happens & no answers.
JoeN

Post by JoeN »

I agree, Windows Live is a joke, I to have posted there and NO reply and the site is a bear to use -

The work around I am using for now is to just click on the "Done" choice - this takes me to the MSN page I used to get when signing out of Hotmail AND I am actually signed out -

Other workaround I could use: enable 3rd party cookies in FF and have them deleted when I sign out of FF - (tools, options, privacy)

For now I'll stick with the 1st one

This is just PITA, it is not a real big deal but I would love to know what set this problem off -

Anyways, Thanks for your input, if you come up with something, post here, I'll do the same

Joe
TheRedGuy

Post by TheRedGuy »

This is a microsoft issue, see the following link for info.

It is unbelievable that the people who work on Windows Live Help and Windows Technical support don't know this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13 ... l_cookies/