1%
Gryphon
6%
None of the above
36%

Total votes: 155

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Who don't people let the developers pick out a batch of names for people to vote from (when and IF they like)?

That way we won't fill up the General forum with all these new name crap threads that noone cares about.
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

denro wrote:Please not firefly, that has several votes. A web browser named after a great bird is one thing, but after an insect is not, IMO.

I suggested that name in the previous thread and my motivation was that Phoenix is small, so why not choose a small creature as well? Thought "firefly" fit well since it also preserves the "fire" theme of Phoenix. But "firebird" sounds just as good to me, although I fear it's much more common and the story of someone telling Phoenix to change its name will repeat itself. Firefly also roll off my tongue pretty good and is easily spelled which I also count as important. But there are several good choices in this poll. I like "photon" as well since Phoenix is quick and small, and so are photons. "Mosquito" is also interesting since, while it doesn't have any connection to "fire" like "salamander" and others we've heard, they *are* tiny predators where their predator nature could come from Mozilla and their lightness from Phoenix. :-)

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the alternatives, but I find it better to have a meaning behind the words than just choosing a random ancient god from the C'thulhu mythology. ;)

Oh, and I wouldn't like a geeky name either. :)
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

Stefan wrote:That way we won't fill up the General forum with all these new name crap threads that noone cares about.

Did you miss the crap thread no one cared about that got 650+ replies? :)
spikboll

Re: Photon Follow-up

Post by spikboll »

I know I shouldn't discuss names here, but I just have to reply to this one:

dodongo wrote:And on second thought, why not something like "Apropos"?
All the suggestions have been more or less nouns or nonsensical, cool-sounding words.

But look:

ap·ro·pos (ăp'rə-pō')
adj.
Being at once opportune and to the point. See synonyms at relevant.

Thanks to the American Heritage Dictionary, 4th Ed. for that.

Doesn't "apropos" quite thoroughly describe this browser? Opportune in that it's suited to the purpose of web browsing, and to the point in that it's succinct and not bloated....

Apropos is a standard unix tool used to search for manual pages.

the top of apropos man page:
apropos(1) Manual pager utils apropos(1)

NAME
apropos - search the manual page names and descriptions

SYNOPSIS
apropos [-dhV] [-e|-w|-r] [-m system[,...]] [-M path] keyword ...

DESCRIPTION
Each manual page has a short description available within it. apropos searches the descriptions for
instances of keyword.

keyword is usually a regular expression, as if (-r) was used, or may contain wildcards (-w), or match
the exact keyword (-e). Using these options, it may be necessary to quote the keyword or escape (\)
the special characters to stop the shell from interpreting them.

The standard matching rules allow matches to be made against the page name and word boundaries in the
description.
jedbro

Newt

Post by jedbro »

You are missing NEWT
Jedi Knight

Post by Jedi Knight »

Apollo, what about Spider? I think it's a good name. Consider its relation to the "Web".
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: In the spirit of mythological names:

Post by daihard »

Ranessin wrote:Artemis
Valkyrie

I like those two. I'd also suggest adding "Firebird." Firebird sure has a connotation of "Phoenix."
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I must be getting senile in my years, how on earth could I forget to add Newt and Firebird......

*sigh*
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Jugalator wrote:
Stefan wrote:That way we won't fill up the General forum with all these new name crap threads that noone cares about.

Did you miss that there is a difference between a developer STARTING "we need namesuggestions" thread vs Mr 3 posts total on this board starting a poll representing only his favourite mane suggestion form that 650+ post thread...

When/IF the developers want a poll, they will start a thread...
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

My favorite so far was Athena, how exactly is this "taken"?
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

Stefan wrote:
Jugalator wrote:

Did you miss that there is a difference between a developer STARTING "we need namesuggestions" thread vs Mr 3 posts total on this board starting a poll representing only his favourite mane suggestion form that 650+ post thread...

When/IF the developers want a poll, they will start a thread...

Yes, there's certainly a difference there, but you didn't mention what you meant with "noone cares" in the post. I assumed you meant "no one" as in "no one at all", which couldn't be more wrong, since a lot of people seem to care. :) If you meant "no developer cares", I understand you, although I hope they care since there are a few good ideas in there. But if they don't want our suggestions and make all these posting stop, they should just politely ask us to shut up.

And the number of posts a forum member has doesn't indicate the quality of his/her name suggestions. Perhaps I misunderstood you there, but I saw you "Mr 3 posts total" as degrading, when the post count is actually a very bad method of measuring Phoenix dedication as the actual post count depends on so many things.
flii

Post by flii »

Jugalator wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood you there, but I saw you "Mr 3 posts total" as degrading, when the post count is actually a very bad method of measuring Phoenix dedication as the actual post count depends on so many things.

this is referring to the numerous people who made new forum names just to talk about phoenix's name change. i don't believe it was meant to be an insult to new forum people who came here for the overal experience. it's for the people making new names and only talking about the new phoenix name.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Nice attitude Flii...
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Jugalator wrote: Perhaps I misunderstood you there, but I saw you "Mr 3 posts total" as degrading, when the post count is actually a very bad method of measuring Phoenix dedication as the actual post count depends on so many things.

Yes, but the number of postcounts indicate how familerar you are with the board.
Someone with eg 3 posts is not likely to have understood nor even read the mods asking that the poll function is not over/abused or it will be removed from general use...

And I think it's better that eg I speak up asking newcomers to ease down a bit on poll & new name multiple threads creating, then waiting for a mod to take actions like removing the poll and deleating the threads.
flii

Post by flii »

Apollo wrote:Nice attitude Flii...

i'm not the one that said this, nor am i the one that meant it. i was explaining what i had seen this referring to on other posts. nice jumping to conclusions, apollo...