Advertisement in the official FF 1.0 de-DE! Officially? Why?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Umko

Post by Umko »

exactly the whole above post of rfrangioni77 misses the very important point that the german thing happened, because the mozilla foundaton decided to get some cash from eBay and the like, which made them dependable on interests of other commercial companies.

and Justsayno, do not worry it is clear to all of us here that Firefox is still the best chioce. by far.
but i think it is important to be vigilant, and critical if needed, in order to keep that great level of transparency
hotel porkpie

Post by hotel porkpie »

so, Mr Rfrangioni77, to paraphrase you: "You're either with us, or against us". You're a simple thinker and loyal fanboy who can't really add anything sensible to this debate because, let's face it, you would defend firefox even if it had raped your mother (ie. run off without paying).

The important points here are that despite all Mozilla's moralising about spyware, the German language Firefox was deliberately shipped with spyware. On top of this, Mozilla reps made a pitiful attempt to prevent English speakers hearing about this little experiment before buying themselves time by promising a statement they never had any intention of making. German users have every justification in being angry & concerned about this, but all firefox users have been treated with contempt in this grubby little episode. The people most upset about this aren't going to be casual end-users, but Firefox enthusiasts and devs who've proudly contributed to the development of this software in the belief it would always be free of spyware.

Mozilla needs to make its statement soon, clarifying whether or not this was deliberate policy and putting on the record just what their position is on spyware. You don't have to speak much German to see how extensively this has tarnished Mozilla and Firefox's image.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Umko wrote:exactly the whole above post of rfrangioni77 misses the very important point that the german thing happened, because the mozilla foundaton decided to get some cash from eBay and the like, which made them dependable on interests of other commercial companies.

No, I DIDN'T miss it. I ignored it..it's not RELEVANT to this sub-thread, nor is it relevant to anything I posted about.

Guys, let's stop the assumptions and inferences and use our brains here. If ebay.de commits some shenanigans with redirects post de facto, then dammit, it's on THEM, and NOBODY BUT THEM. Blaming Mozilla if ebay does that is blaming the victim, and blaming the victim is bullshit. Some of you guys are hanging them out to dry already and the situation is cloudy at best, and totally b0rked at worst.

I addressed the "cash for integrated search" thing above.

Godalfrigginmighty, people....JUST WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT BEFORE YOU CONDEMN. Innocent until PROVEN guilty, remember? Let's save our chastising and criticisms for when we KNOW what happened, not for when we think we might possibly be able to infer what happened.

This shit is flat-out ridiculous.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

hotel porkpie wrote:so, Mr Rfrangioni77, to paraphrase you: "You're either with us, or against us".

Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit. That's fine, the internet needs idiots too...and you fit the bill to a T.

Ok, I can play that game too.

To paraphrase you: "I'm a worthless, bored internet troll who can't be bothered to actually comprehend what I read because then I wouldn't be able to have my fun picking fights and instigating arguments about topics which I am utterly and completely clueless about."

Come back when you engage the brain in your head, not the one floating around in your rectum.

Oh, and how nice of you to call my mother a whore. You have illustrated what a piece of shit loser you really are...bravo, I like it when mental midgets like you do my work for me. Makes my life MUCH easier.

Hey mods...how about sending this dick packing?
hotel porkpie

Post by hotel porkpie »

But rfranigioni77 Mozilla have conceded it was an experiment which introduced datamining code many German firefox users believed they were escaping by using Firefox. We need to know now if they intend to conduct more extensive experiments in future releases, because this quickly alters the entire ethos of the Firefox project.

It leaves a very sour taste.
danny_w

Post by danny_w »

The fact that they (Mozilla Germany) tried to close this thread with the 2nd reply is IMHO extremely damaging. And I still say that accepting money for searches is ASKING for trouble. Yes, of course they need money, but I think that accepting money in this way is too much of a temptation for corruption.
hotel porkpie

Post by hotel porkpie »

rfrangioni77 wrote:(foul language and insulting off-topic rant)

This is a serious issue and it would be a shame if the important questions raised in this thread were distracted from and left unanswered because members have to have fights and temper tantrums.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Good, maybe intelligent debates like this will drive the children like porkpie away.

danny_w wrote:The fact that they (Mozilla Germany) tried to close this thread with the 2nd reply is IMHO extremely damaging.

Absolutely....it is damaging, but if you think about it for a second, the fact that it isn't closed says something.

What it tells me is, it was an "experiment" by the German localization team (which already has been admitted to, has it not?) and not a vast conspiracy by Mozilla as a whole...if it was a huge conspiracy, this thread <i>would</i> have been locked.

*shrug* Just another way to look at the situation.

danny_w wrote: And I still say that accepting money for searches is ASKING for trouble. Yes, of course they need money, but I think that accepting money in this way is too much of a temptation for corruption.

Agreed, as well...however, the foundation NEEDS money, and this is actually a good way to do it. Good because as an open-source project, anyone will be able to catch any shenanigans, kind of like what happened here. That deterrence alone should keep "money-for-integrated search" on the up-n-up.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

hotel porkpie wrote:
rfrangioni77 wrote:(foul language and insulting off-topic rant)

This is a serious issue and it would be a shame if the important questions raised in this thread were distracted from and left unanswered because members have to have fights and temper tantrums.

Like you calling my mother a whore, you mean?

Typical troll behavior. Commit a certain behavior, and then criticize when someone responds in kind in an effort to claim the "higher ground". *thumbs up*
hotel porkpie

Post by hotel porkpie »

rfrangioni77, just direct yourself at the question, not me.

This is a very bad way for the organisation to make money IF it trumpets itself as a resort from spyware on its product page. On top of this, if the Mozilla hierarchy choose to secretly make money in this way, they're letting down developers who've worked in the belief they were contributing to an open source project free of spyware. I can't see what is so difficult to understand about that.

But more than anything else I'm surprised at the shameless attempt to cover it up and keep English speakers in the dark about this underhand experiment in the German release, by the man who appears to be responsible for the experiment in the first place.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

hotel porkpie wrote:rfrangioni77, just direct yourself at the question, not me.

I already have. I've <i>been</i> discussing it for a couple pages now, without calling people's mother's whores.
tombik

Post by tombik »

I personally wish that they had never opened the door.
I second that.
Doesnt´t matter who´s fault it was, who is responsible, a border was crossed and IMHO that´s not good and will cause some people being disappointed from Firefox and might reduce their efforts on helping the development and spreading of firefox. So it does to me no matter if and how the official statement will look alike. Also I cannot speak of a "fault" by the german version: a fault for me is if you type "a" instead of "e" e.g., but this was done with intention.
Perhaps it was my mistake ´cause I was too blue-eyed but I never thought that there will ever be a correlation between FX and "spyware-thingies"

Still disappointed (in the strict sense of the word)

Tombik
Jack

Post by Jack »

This thread has degenerated into name calling, and is basically going in circles. I'm locking it.