Phoenix based off 1.0.X

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Lunnalkann

Phoenix based off 1.0.X

Post by Lunnalkann »

Hello,

At this early stage of development I can understand why it only uses the latest nightly instead of the latest stable, but when v1 is released, is there any chance of one based off 1.0.1 happening?

The reason why is that the latest mozillas cause lots of problems, whilst 1.0.1 works perfectly.

Thanks.
seb

Post by seb »

IMHO, it's very unlikely that this happens.
(When px 1.0 is out, Mozilla's stable version will probably be 1.4 or so)
Lunnalkann

Post by Lunnalkann »

<mutter>

The 1.0.X is the stable branch officially though.

1.1+ are just additional features with a bit less stability (At least in my experience.)
Stefan

Re: Phoenix based off 1.0.X

Post by Stefan »

Lunnalkann wrote:The reason why is that the latest mozillas cause lots of problems, whilst 1.0.1 works perfectly.

1.0.1 does not work perfectly at all. There is litterallaly thousands of bugs fixed in latest mozilla that is present in 1.0.1.

And when you talk about "latest mozillas cause lots of problems" do you mean 1.2 final or 1.3a ?
1.2 hasn't been used by Phoenix for 2-3 weeks at least so the large bugs that breaks DHTML in 1.2 final doesn't affect Phoenix in any way or form.
Lunnalkann

Post by Lunnalkann »

I have problems in anything greater than 1.0.1. Everything higher completely messes up the display of iframes.

Nothing I do with 1.1+ helps, and I've tried the latest nightlies for ages, but it still has the same problem with displaying iframes with static.

I guess I have to keep with Opera and IE then...
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Lunnalkann wrote:I guess I have to keep with Opera and IE then...

because IE's bugless and stable comparing to Moz 1.>0?

Phoenix isn't just Mozilla with toolbar customisation. Having a version based on 1.0.1 wouldn't make any sense at all.

- Chris
tve

Post by tve »

I've had no instability or display problems at all with 1.1 and 1.2... :|

its a good thing that PX is built on the latest, most advanced branch.. and if it would be build on 1.0, people would complain about that as well :roll:
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Lunnalkann wrote:I have problems in anything greater than 1.0.1. Everything higher completely messes up the display of iframes.

Do you have a link to such a page of yours?
It's entirely possible that the pages you are refering to are broken and that it works in Moz <1.1 becuse 1.0x is BUGGY...
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Lunnalkann wrote:I have problems in anything greater than 1.0.1. Everything higher completely messes up the display of iframes.

Nothing I do with 1.1+ helps, and I've tried the latest nightlies for ages, but it still has the same problem with displaying iframes with static.

I guess I have to keep with Opera and IE then...

If you have a problem, take it up with Mozilla, not Phoenix. That's where the real coding and fixing gets done (no offense to Ph developers, that's not how I meant it). If it is broken in Mozilla, then it will be broken in Phoenix. If it is fixed in Mozilla, it will be fixed in Phoenix. Most of the Phoenix bugs are due to new functionality/features being added, like Satchel.
WinterWolf

PLEASE

Post by WinterWolf »

At least make 2 separate releases, a stable release and developer snapshot releases. The stable release should use the code of Mozilla's latest realease ( 1.2) and the developer snapshot should work in the same style phenoix does snow. The stable release will be updated each time a new Mozilla release is released. PLEASE DO THIS, I HATE IT WHEN PHEONIX USES BETA QUALITY CODE! I WANT A BROWSER I CAN RELY ON! THIS WAY YOU WILL PELASE ALL OF US, THE BLEEDING EDGE PEOPLE AND THOSE OF US WHO WANT A NICE STABLE BROWSER BUT DON'T NEED ALL THE LATEST FEATURES>
alanjstr

Re: PLEASE

Post by alanjstr »

WinterWolf wrote:At least make 2 separate releases, a stable release and developer snapshot releases. The stable release should use the code of Mozilla's latest realease ( 1.2) and the developer snapshot should work in the same style phenoix does snow. The stable release will be updated each time a new Mozilla release is released. PLEASE DO THIS, I HATE IT WHEN PHEONIX USES BETA QUALITY CODE! I WANT A BROWSER I CAN RELY ON! THIS WAY YOU WILL PELASE ALL OF US, THE BLEEDING EDGE PEOPLE AND THOSE OF US WHO WANT A NICE STABLE BROWSER BUT DON'T NEED ALL THE LATEST FEATURES>

Phoenix <i>IS</i> beta software. And 1.2 isn't stable. If you really want stability and no features, they would have to use the 1.0.x branch. There is no need to shout.

Mozilla 1.3 isn't that much buggier than 1.2. 1.2 was a milestone for which they wanted certain bugs resolved.

I would also like to add that Phoenix is a side-project. They have limited resources, including machines to make builds.
Last edited by alanjstr on December 3rd, 2002, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asa

Re: PLEASE

Post by asa »

WinterWolf wrote:<snip> I HATE IT WHEN PHEONIX USES BETA QUALITY CODE! I WANT A BROWSER I CAN RELY ON! THIS WAY YOU WILL PELASE ALL OF US, THE BLEEDING EDGE PEOPLE AND THOSE OF US WHO WANT A NICE STABLE BROWSER BUT DON'T NEED ALL THE LATEST FEATURES>

You are clearly confused. Phoenix _is_ beta quality. Notice that it is still at version 0.4 (almost 0.5). These pre 1.0 builds are _all_ beta quality (if even that). If you expect Phoenix 0.4 or 0.5 to be something other than beta quality then you're going to be let down. If you're unwilling to use beta quality code then stop using Phoenix.

--Asa
WinterWolf

I didn't mean now!

Post by WinterWolf »

I mean in the future when Pheonix reaches 1.0. I hope there will be 2 branches like Mozilla has the nightly builds and their latest and greatest. BTW Mozilla 1.2.1 is pretty damn stable.
scratch

Post by scratch »

the nightly builds are pretty damn stable too.
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

I'm using only milstones just because I don't like downloading something without knowing if it's going to work right or not... BTW, if 0.4 is still at beta stage (and it is...) I can't imagine how stable will be the "more" official versions. I'm starting to use Phoenix (or whatever it'll be called) as my main browser and it's the one (used to browse with Opera 6.x & 7, Mozilla 0.9.x & 1.x) I had the least crashes with :D
..::XF::..