0.6.1 candidate builds available

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Looking good so far for me :)
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Allenz wrote:whatever was causing mlb.com to crash has been fixed. And, autoscroll work fine..thanks. I love that feature :)
It's a nice feature but it lacks an ability to disable it.

This becomes burdensome when one uses the middle mouse button to open links in background tabs since, if one isn't precise when they click the link, autoscroll happens and blithely scrolls the page to gawd knows where?

A real pain, imo.
m0z!l4t0r

Post by m0z!l4t0r »

Allenz wrote:whatever was causing mlb.com to crash has been fixed.

can't reproduce this crash. which links, buttons, ... did you hit when your "old" version of fb crashed ?
rv:1.7.10 Gecko / 20050719 Firefox / 1.0.6
extensions:0, autoscroll:off, javascript:on, cookies:only allowed for a few sites
winxp sp1
U5f/vln<N?{%5cVr8.KT7z

Post by U5f/vln<N?{%5cVr8.KT7z »

This build is quite good.
Unfortunately, I still get this strange "default homepage" error...
Allenz

Post by Allenz »

m0z!l4t0r wrote:
Allenz wrote:whatever was causing mlb.com to crash has been fixed.

can't reproduce this crash. which links, buttons, ... did you hit when your "old" version of fb crashed ?

It was strange. If I went to atlantabraves.mlb.com and went from there to mlb.com, it would crash two out of three times. It didn't matter if I went via the little linked logo or selected mlb.com from my bookmarks. Others reported the same thing from their favorite team site within mlb.com.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I don't like 1.5a, lets go with 1.5b and just take the most stable nightly from NOW on....

I think 6.0.1 should at least have the ability to disable autoscroll

This 1.5a business is no good :)

We should just find the most stable nightly we can find -- from now on...
Well, actually... I really don't care... I'll continue to use the nightly builds...
If you want to release a quality 0.6.1 go with 1.5b and one of the next nightly builds, IMO :)
Last edited by Tom Sommer on July 25th, 2003, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Tom Sommer wrote:I don't like 1.5a, lets go with 1.5b and just take the most stable nightly from NOW on....

This 1.5a is no good

Did you test this build? If not, saying that it is no good because 1.5a isn't good is pretty ignorant.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Of course I did.... But I'm comparing it with the current nightly, which... IMO is better and contains much more cool stuff
Colin Ramsay

Post by Colin Ramsay »

Sailfish wrote:
Allenz wrote:whatever was causing mlb.com to crash has been fixed. And, autoscroll work fine..thanks. I love that feature :)
It's a nice feature but it lacks an ability to disable it.

This becomes burdensome when one uses the middle mouse button to open links in background tabs since, if one isn't precise when they click the link, autoscroll happens and blithely scrolls the page to gawd knows where?

A real pain, imo.

A real pain? Doesn't the pointer change to a little hand when you hover onto a link? Anyway, I agree that autoscroll needs work (I'm sure a solution to your problem could be found) but I 100% agree with it needing to be in.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

AutoScroll has two big bugs... One is that autoscroll is still usable when the page cannot be scrolled

The second is the option to disable it, which I am bloody looking forward to.. I hate the damn thing

All the more reason to go with a nightly
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Tom Sommer wrote:Of course I did.... But I'm comparing it with the current nightly, which... IMO is better and contains much more cool stuff

cool stuff like not being able to install extensions? ;)

The 0.6.1 is an interim thing in order to get something out soon. Waiting until there is a stable nightly could take a while. There will be stability in a few weeks, because the trunk will be "frozen", and then we will get 0.7.

Of course, if you want to be on the cutting edge, and take risks with new bugs being introduced, then you can carry on with nightlies, where testing is needed. But people who have stayed back with 0.6 (or the May 25 build, or some nightly build in June they found good) will be better off with 0.6.1.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

I'm running the 6.1rc build now. I can also confirm the Mozillazine textbox border rendering bug. Other than that it seems very good. Extension installation is working, back loading from the cache (appears) to be working. I'm not noticing any huge differences between this build and the trunk build though. What exactly has the trunk build got that this build doesn't?
LinkTiger

Post by LinkTiger »

0.6.1 isn't suppossed to have all the new features, it's just suppossed to be stable and include only the features that have been thoroughly tested. Which is why they're freezing new features and only fixing some of the more annoying bugs.
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. They just make darkness a standard!
GolfProRM

Post by GolfProRM »

Easiest way to solve the autoscroll problem? Change your middle button to a non-default function... My middle button is set to double-click, so I never even see the autoscroll. :D Granted, this means the middle button is useless for opening links in tabs, and other middle button things, but I've worked around that. :)
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

michaell wrote:
Tom Sommer wrote:Of course I did.... But I'm comparing it with the current nightly, which... IMO is better and contains much more cool stuff

cool stuff like not being able to install extensions? ;)
Yeah, that will NEVER get fixed... ever and ever.. sigh
The patch for it is checked in... so I don't see a problem