how to disable built-in personas on firefox 3.6 completely?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Re: how to disable built-in personas on firefox 3.6 completely?

Post by RobertJ »

Scorzonera wrote:
Yeah, fine. I don't want it. Can it be shut down/disabled/removed in any way or form, yes or no?

I answered that above; but, let's try again. NO
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The personas "feature" is whitelisted to Mozilla sites only. I don't know if this could be exploited anywhere else.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

RobertJ wrote:
Scorzonera wrote:
Yeah, fine. I don't want it. Can it be shut down/disabled/removed in any way or form, yes or no?

Depending on exactly what you mean by "shut down/disabled/" you can use NoScript to block JavaScript on http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/

You could also make sure that getpersonas.com is not listed as an exception in

Tools -> Options -> Security -> Warn me when sites try to install add-ons

I'm noting this since "shut down/disabled/" is open to interpretation; however, I don't think this is the answer being sought. Thanks to Frank L for the suggestion.
Grist

Post by Grist »

For those that have the userChrome.js extension, the following will disable personas:

Code: Select all

LightWeightThemeWebInstaller = null;

Edit: Just a minor, non-functional change.
Last edited by Grist on January 21st, 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Grist wrote:For those that have the userChrome.js extension, the following will disable personas:

LightWeightThemeWebInstaller = function() { return false; }

Thanks. Learn something new here every day.
Grist

Post by Grist »

I don't really know that much about the inner workings of personas, but the property LightWeightThemeWebInstaller seems to contain the bulk- if not all- the related functions.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/19/personasi.jpg

I don't know if there are other bits lurking around, most likely there are, but redefining that property seems to do the trick.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Grist wrote:For those that have the userChrome.js extension, the following will disable personas:

LightWeightThemeWebInstaller = function() { return false; }

Yeah, you can disable it, but why bother? If you're not using a persona, the code is just sitting there doing nothing. Disabling it doesn't remove it either. So there's no benefit to going through the effort.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Grist

Post by Grist »

I personally don't care. Just offering a solution for the grumblers.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Grist wrote:Just offering a solution for the grumblers.

=D>
Scorzonera

Post by Scorzonera »

RobertJ wrote:
Scorzonera wrote:

Yeah, like I said in my previous post:
[Edit]
Just saw your reply to 57I7 on this question. So, it's NO.

Thanks for that second attempt, anyway.
Scorzonera

Post by Scorzonera »

Bluefang wrote:Yeah, you can disable it, but why bother? If you're not using a persona, the code is just sitting there doing nothing. Disabling it doesn't remove it either. So there's no benefit to going through the effort.

There's my personal benefit not wanting this crap in any way or form, and I don't care what others feel, think or value (about) that BTW. So, there's nothing better around and it's not much of an effort and I'll be using this workaround after I installed 3.6. Thanks, Grist.
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

You know they are called features for a reason. Chrome and Opera have their features too. You could say 'if you don't like it, don't use it'.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

SlimShady wrote:You know they are called features for a reason. Chrome and Opera have their features too. You could say 'if you don't like it, don't use it'.

You could also say how about we continue to help people to hide/disable/remove features that they don't like, as we have been doing for 5+ years now?

Did people start to bully others when they didn't want the New Tab button on the tabbar in 3.5? No, we gave them userChrome.css snippets and extensions. I'm sure a search here will show the other 500+ fixes 'we' have done over the years.

So, guys, how about you all play nice on this one, hmm?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Scorzonera

Post by Scorzonera »

SlimShady wrote:You know they are called features for a reason. Chrome and Opera have their features too. You could say 'if you don't like it, don't use it'.

And that's exactly why I don't use chrome or Opera!

If I wanted a browser with all kinds of 'features' already built in, those are the ones (IE included) I would probably use. Heck, in the browser world, that's all you gonna get, except for Firefox!

That's why Firefox has extensions. That's why extensions are popular. That's why no Firefox installation ends up the same. And that's what I like about Firefox.
Well, that's what I liked about Firefox, I think. I'm not so sure anymore.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Did people start to bully others when they didn't want the New Tab button on the tabbar in 3.5? No, we gave them userChrome.css snippets and extensions. I'm sure a search here will show the other 500+ fixes 'we' have done over the years.

IMHO there's a difference between a UI change and a feature that has no visibility unless it's actually used.

There's my personal benefit not wanting this crap in any way or form, and I don't care what others feel, think or value (about) that BTW. So, there's nothing better around and it's not much of an effort and I'll be using this workaround after I installed 3.6. Thanks, Grist.

Then it's entirely psychological, because there is no other net benefit in doing so. That's why I don't understand.

If someone were to come along an secretly remove that UserChrome rule, you probably wouldn't even notice. It would have no affect on either Firefox's UI or functional behavior.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...