What do all of those folders/files do?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Jimmy_C

What do all of those folders/files do?

Post by Jimmy_C »

What do all of those files in (<em>The Browser Formerly Know As</em>) Phoenix do? I noticed that there are a lot of <strong>empty</strong> folders too. What do they do? Is there any documentation on the purposes of the files and folders used in the builds?
Linux user since Nov. 31, 2003!
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

The empty folders in the chrome dir? They represent the chrome structure inside all the jar files, which define the look and the functionality of Phoenix' UI. I guess they will vanish with time (remember: Phoenix is not even at 0.5 yet). Most of the other files have pretty self-explaining names, don't you think?
alanjstr

Re: What do all of those folders/files do?

Post by alanjstr »

Jimmy_C wrote:What do all of those files in (<em>The Browser Formerly Know As</em>) Phoenix do? I noticed that there are a lot of <strong>empty</strong> folders too. What do they do? Is there any documentation on the purposes of the files and folders used in the builds?

The empty stuff probably occurs because Phoenix no longer includes the files, but the directory structure is strill created at build time. Almost all of the other files are important for various reasons.

Your question is kinda like asking what do all the DLL's in Windows do.
Plugins are plugins, including the default plugin stub.
Chrome has to do with appearances, such as the colors and layout of elements. Try opening a jar file with WinZip (or gzip). Inside you'll see css, js, and xul, which tells things how to behave and what to look like (broadly speaking).
For more details, poke around the Mozilla website since it is the core of Phoenix.