Changing Auto Imported IE Bookmarks

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
JaGGeR

Changing Auto Imported IE Bookmarks

Post by JaGGeR »

Good day guys (and gals)...

My first time to post here. First of all, I would like to say that "Phoenix" is one great software. It's my best loved browser now. ;) I have been tinkering with it since v0.3 came out. But enough said, I have a little problem. I am using Win2K with SP2. I installed Phoenix and then I transferred the location of the IE Favorites folder. Phoenix still has the auto imported IE bookmarks to the previous location. Is there a way that I could make it point to the new IE favorites folder location? Pardon me if the question seemed silly.

Thanx..
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Once the IE Favorites have been imported into the Phoenix bookmark file, there is no further connection to the IE Favorites. Whatever you change in one will have no effect on the other.
thenightfly42

Re: Changing Auto Imported IE Bookmarks

Post by thenightfly42 »

Phoenix can't use the IE Favorites, and IE can't use the Phoenix Bookmarks. When you installed Phoenix, it found the current IE Favorites and imported them as Bookmarks. This is a snapshot in time; any succesive changes to your IE Favorites will not be reflected in your Phoenix Bookmarks.

Your best bet (if you plan to use both on an ongoing basis) is to find a 3rd party bookmark manager. It's OK if it only says it supports Netscape rather than Phoenix or Mozilla, because the Bookmark format is the same for all of them. (I believe). I don't have a suggestion for a good bookmark manager, however.
JaGGeR

Post by JaGGeR »

Thanks for the replies. But I was just thinking if there is some file or registry item that I could manually change to reflect the one I wanted. Actually, I'm not using IE that much. That is why I would like to have those IE bookmarks reflected in Phoenix. As a last resort, I'm thinking of deleting the files for Phoenix and uncompressing them again. But before resorting to that, I'm exploring other avenues to do what I wanted. :)
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

You should be able to use IE's Import/Export Wizard to export your current favorites to a file which can then be imported into Phoenix.
JaGGeR

Post by JaGGeR »

laszlo's reply did the job I wanted. Many thanx. :)