Windows: Appearance changes coming in upcoming builds...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jrt

Windows: Appearance changes coming in upcoming builds...

Post by jrt »

Support for native widget drawing (scrollbars, buttons, drop down menus, tabs, etc.) was checked in last night (see <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172751">Bug 172751</a> for more details).

This means that Mozilla and Phoenix on Windows 95/98/2000 and XP (with themes disabled or using the classic Windows theme) will render using the standard Windows settings (color and size), and therefore will look more like a typical Windows application. There was previously similar support for XP themes.

You might want to grab a screen capture of Phoenix before this change as well as after (maybe tonight's build, maybe not), so you can compare the appearance changes for yourself.
lar3ry

Re: Windows: Appearance changes coming in upcoming builds...

Post by lar3ry »

jrt wrote:Support for native widget drawing (scrollbars, buttons, drop down menus, tabs, etc.) was checked in last night (see <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172751">Bug 172751</a> for more details).

Yay! This fixes some of the rather nasty widget problems I have had with Linux (RedHat 8.0 + KDE). Since I don't use GNOME, the default "themed" widgets were not very nice for my particular setup.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson
ehume

Post by ehume »

Please forgive my ignorance. I've seen references to widgets for years and never known what they are. Exactly what are widgets?

Ed
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

ehume wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. I've seen references to widgets for years and never known what they are. Exactly what are widgets?

Buttons, scroll bars and the like.
Alex
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

ehume wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. I've seen references to widgets for years and never known what they are. Exactly what are widgets?

Ed

Widgets are things like the little X in the upper corner of your screen for closing a window. Some applications, such as Winamp, have their own widgets. A scrollbar is also a widget.

Clear as mud? By using the OS provided Widgets, the code will be leaner and faster. Ok, not really the answer you were looking for.
scratch

Post by scratch »

alanjstr wrote:

Ed

Widgets are things like the little X in the upper corner of your screen for closing a window. Some applications, such as Winamp, have their own widgets. A scrollbar is also a widget.

Clear as mud? By using the OS provided Widgets, the code will be leaner and faster. Ok, not really the answer you were looking for.

They're not using the OS provided widgets though, they're merely making the built-in ones look like them.
SilentJ

Post by SilentJ »

Whoo! finally it respects the scrollbar width :)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

scratch wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

Ed

They're not using the OS provided widgets though, they're merely making the built-in ones look like them.

Oh. Someday, maybe. Possibly related: userChrome.css no longer works. But that's another thread.
Jugalator

Re: Windows: Appearance changes coming in upcoming builds...

Post by Jugalator »

lar3ry wrote:
jrt wrote:Support for native widget drawing (scrollbars, buttons, drop down menus, tabs, etc.) was checked in last night (see <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172751">Bug 172751</a> for more details).

Yay! This fixes some of the rather nasty widget problems I have had with Linux (RedHat 8.0 + KDE). Since I don't use GNOME, the default "themed" widgets were not very nice for my particular setup.

I think the changes were Windows-specific and doesn't affect Linux. :-/

This makes me wonder if anything is actually gained in build size, since they aren't removing anything, just *adding* support for native Windows themes.

Also, is this going to be immediately visible in the nightly builds? Just because they're adding *support* for something doesn't mean there are code to activate the new functionality to me. But perhaps, hopefully, they are. ;)
Blake

Post by Blake »

While we are still using xul widgets, having the OS draw them (or parts of them) for us does make us faster. The build size and memory usage will go down as we remove all the old style rules that are no longer needed (since now the OS handles the appearance).
WinterWolf

Ummm..

Post by WinterWolf »

When will tehre be tight integration like this with Pheonix and GNOME 2 or KDE 3.x?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Blake wrote:While we are still using xul widgets, having the OS draw them (or parts of them) for us does make us faster. The build size and memory usage will go down as we remove all the old style rules that are no longer needed (since now the OS handles the appearance).

Will there be a list so that the theme authors know which elements they should look to remove?