Adobe Flash player not showing in addons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
eradic8

Re: Adobe Flash player not showing in addons

Post by eradic8 »

O.K I just disabled the private browsing in Firefox, and tried again, and this time noticed a message under Address bar saying:
"This site (get.adobe.com) has been prevented from asking you to install software on your computer"
I allowed this and was prompted with a message box with the following: "You have been asked to install the following item:
Adobe DLM (adobe systems incorporated) http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.xpi I did not install yet until someone can confirm it is a geniune adobe download. If so it appears that the problem was due to being in private browsing mode, as I only noticed the message preventing adobe when I came out of private mode.

I think it must be genuine as I just looked up .xpi and it says it is a Mozilla Firefox Extension.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Some time ago the Adobe site(s) started forcing users to download and install "their" Adobe Download Manager before the site would proceed to the actual program you're trying to get... this recent thread
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1832355&hilit=+adobe
discussed that in-part... find the part (about halfway down) where dickvl posts some information and in that section where he posts...
On the troubleshooting page click the link at the bottom:
For additional information and troubleshooting help, click here to view the Adobe’s TechNote support page

If you click on the "click here" link of that paragraph it will take you here....
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.h ... ComHeading
And down that page you'll find....
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... player.exe
which is the direct link at Adobe for downloading the required plugin (bypassing that download manager crap)... save it to a place where you'll find it later and when you do "double click" on it to install it into your system...
Make sure that you stop/restart Firefox and when Firefox starts you should see the new plugin.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi eradic8,
Sorry if I came on a tad strong.
I couldn't understand why things were not "going swimmingly." ;)
It's usually a doddle to un/re-install or update Flash.
What you said here...
[q]
Using Firefox I entered URL http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer On page it says Adobe Flash Player Version 10.0.45.2 Windows,Firefox,Safari,Opera
I press agree and install, but on download page it does not automatically install. It says if download does not start, click here for trouble shooting info, and all that is on that page is one download link and it appears to be ActiveX version.
[/q]
...should have been enough to send a message of something in your settings, stopping the D/L.
Now that you've mentioned you've been in Private browsing mode.......... :)
As dfoulkes has mentioned. the Adobe DM is just their new "helper."
It's safe to use, but ^ can be by-passed. ;)

Anyway...I'm glad that you finally "worked it out" & have Flash installed.
Adobe has a test site for it if required.
> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

(This medium makes it so hard & sometimes we take things for granted.)

Regards, L..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I did not install yet until someone can confirm it is a geniune adobe download. If so it appears that the problem was due to being in private browsing mode, as I only noticed the message preventing adobe when I came out of private mode.

I think it must be genuine as I just looked up .xpi and it says it is a Mozilla Firefox Extension.

From what I read in the above quote I don't think that eradic8 has resolved the issue yet... looks like a waiting period (for us) was in the making...
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

eradic8 wrote:Using Firefox I entered URL http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer On page it says Adobe Flash Player Version 10.0.45.2 Windows,Firefox,Safari,Opera
I press agree and install, but on download page it does not automatically install. It says if download does not start, click here for trouble shooting info, and all that is on that page is one download link and it appears to be ActiveX version.

Adobe ambushed you with that one. As you know now, Adobe erroneously sends you to the IE troubleshooting page instead of the troubleshooting page at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#Troubleshoot%20other%20installation%20and%20viewing%20problems. I got tripped up by that one too, and it took me quite a while to find the correct direct download link on my own. (All because I refuse to install the unnecessary and possibly vulnerable Adobe Download Manager.)

I'm glad to see that dfoulkes has given you the necessary links now for a direct download. Isn't Adobe a pain!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

After his/her verification, I should think, nay hope, that all is well in "The State of Cleckheaton." :)

(I was born near there,) ;)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm glad to see that dfoulkes has given you the necessary links now for a direct download. Isn't Adobe a pain!

Yeah... I gave him/her "kind of" the long way around but thought that a bit of background wouldn't hurt. :-"
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

dfoulkes wrote:Some time ago the Adobe site(s) started forcing users to download and install "their" Adobe Download Manager before the site would proceed to the actual program you're trying to get... this recent thread
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1832355&hilit=+adobe
discussed that in-part... find the part (about halfway down) where dickvl posts some information and in that section where he posts...
On the troubleshooting page click the link at the bottom:
For additional information and troubleshooting help, click here to view the Adobe’s TechNote support page

If you click on the "click here" link of that paragraph it will take you here....
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.h ... ComHeading
And down that page you'll find....
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... player.exe
which is the direct link at Adobe for downloading the required plugin (bypassing that download manager crap)... save it to a place where you'll find it later and when you do "double click" on it to install it into your system...
Make sure that you stop/restart Firefox and when Firefox starts you should see the new plugin.

O.K thanks dfoulkes, flash player is now installed. Could you tell me exactly where on that first link the correct download is though, because I could not find it, and had to use the direct download link. It is just for future reference that's all. Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi eradic8,
Sorry if I came on a tad strong.
I couldn't understand why things were not "going swimmingly." ;)
It's usually a doddle to un/re-install or update Flash.
What you said here...
[q]
Using Firefox I entered URL http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer On page it says Adobe Flash Player Version 10.0.45.2 Windows,Firefox,Safari,Opera
[/q]
...should have been enough to send a message of something in your settings, stopping the D/L.
Now that you've mentioned you've been in Private browsing mode.......... :)
As dfoulkes has mentioned. the Adobe DM is just their new "helper."
It's safe to use, but ^ can be by-passed. ;)

Anyway...I'm glad that you finally "worked it out" & have Flash installed.
Adobe has a test site for it if required.
> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

(This medium makes it so hard & sometimes we take things for granted.)

Regards, L..

No problem Limpet, thanks for your advice.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi eradic8...
Glad to hear that Flash is finally installed.
The D/L link is in Section 5.
There are 2....one for IE/Active X & the lower one for everything else.
You need both if you ever use IE.
(Please note that the Flash un-installer will un-install all Flash, not just one.)
Check this thread, just to familiarize yourself with the process.
> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=945195
:)

eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

Alan Baxter wrote:
eradic8 wrote:Using Firefox I entered URL http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer On page it says Adobe Flash Player Version 10.0.45.2 Windows,Firefox,Safari,Opera

Adobe ambushed you with that one. As you know now, Adobe erroneously sends you to the IE troubleshooting page instead of the troubleshooting page at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#Troubleshoot%20other%20installation%20and%20viewing%20problems. I got tripped up by that one too, and it took me quite a while to find the correct direct download link on my own. (All because I refuse to install the unnecessary and possibly vulnerable Adobe Download Manager.)

To be honest Alan I'm fuming that those Assho%es at Adobe have caused me so much trouble, and I feel the same way, why the hell would I want to install something from Adobe that is not necessary, when that company has a history of serious security flaws in their products. Flash Player is enough for me, in fact I'm going to uninstall Adobe reader now, before it gets hit with the next major security vunerability. It would not be so bad if they made it easy to find the direct download to Adobe Flash Player, but as you have mentioned it takes you to the IE troubleshooting page. Just in case there is a small chance an Adobe employer might be reading this thread, "Thanks a lot for giving me a major headache and wasting my time idiots". Now I'm going to have to find a cushion to punch the hell out of to relief all the stress they have caused me.
Thanks to all who helped on this forum, God knows what I would have done without your help.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi eradic8...
Glad to hear that Flash is finally installed.
The D/L link is in Section 5.
There are 2....one for IE/Active X & the lower one for everything else.
You need both if you ever use IE.
(Please note that the Flash un-installer will un-install all Flash, not just one.)
Check this thread, just to familiarize yourself with the process.
> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=945195
:)

Thanks Limpet, don't know how I missed that, Well I do, it is cos I'm so wound up with all this business. Anyway I have it now for future reference. Thanks for your help.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're most welcome, eradic8.
If you're getting rid of Adobe Reader, you may like to try Foxit...
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/download.php

Just take your time reading the Flash thread.
Stay safe.
L..

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

O.K thanks dfoulkes

You're welcome.... I purchased this Win7 laptop months ago and when loading it up with apps. I decided to "not" install Adobe reader... I installed Foxit and so far it's been working well... though I suspect that when I click on something "within" Firefox that is a PDF doc. it may be crashing my FF... though this Win7 OS saves the process somehow and I don't actually see the crash..Firefox keeps on processing ...yet there is a crash report in my WER directory section of Win7... have not figured it out though. I notice the crash data there when I run Defraggler and see a huge file with tons of frags.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome. Foxit Reader works fine for me, but watch out: it installs an Ask toolbar called Foxit Toolbar by default. It's simple enough to uncheck that when installing though. Piggybacking stuff like that in free software has become increasingly common, so I'm pretty careful whenever I install something nowadays.