How to unblock cookies with Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
1043 Don Schaaf

How to unblock cookies with Firefox

Post by 1043 Don Schaaf »

I mistakenly clicked on the Deny button when visiting a trusted site. The cookie at that site serves as registration. I had previously checked the "Use my choice for all cookies from this site" button.

How do I get Firefox to forget that choice of deny the cookie all the time?

With Netscape v7.x there was as place where you could clik on to "unblock cookies from this site"

Thank you,

Don S
Racer

Post by Racer »

I use the "Cookie Button" extension. It does exactly what you want. I block cookies from all sites by default, then when I get to a site I want to unblock, I just choose the "allow cookies" option from the cookie button.

Alternatively, there is a settings window in Tools->Options->Privacy->Cookies that will let you do that, but its a pain to use.
1043 Don Schaaf

Thanks! I will do that, but ----

- - - now you get to explain to me what you mean when you say "cookie button". Where is this little fellow located? And - How do block cookies from all sites by default?

Don S
WinLin

Post by WinLin »

To remove it without using the extension go to:
Tools->Options->Privacy->Cookies
Click on the "Exceptions" button, then scroll down the list till you find the site. Highlight it and click on "Remove Site". The next time you go to the site it will ask again.

To "block" all cookies remove the check mark from "Allow sites to set cookies"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4 (MOOX M3)
-----------------
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)
Racer

Post by Racer »

The cookie button is whereever you put it on the toolbar.
1043 Don Schaaf

Racer wrote:The cookie button is whereever you put it on the toolbar.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Racer.

I'm afraid my thinking is; right now anyway, that this is one of the reasons I will not be using Firefox as my browser of choice. By that I mean, Since it is new I don't understand all of its workings, settings, configurations and such and when I ask about it, some nice person such as yourself answers but I don't understand the answer.

i.e. The cookie button. What in the world is the cookie button?

Thank you,

Don S
Magus

Post by Magus »

It is an optional extension, like he said.

Just use the already posted method of going into Options and Privacy.
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
mommabear

Post by mommabear »

1043 Don Schaaf :

Don't get discouraged! It took me several tries of FF before I finally got the hang of it. You know, you can keep it installed and still play around with it. Just leave IE as your default browser. When you open FF, you'll get a nag screen about changing the default. I think you can turn that off. I don't remember for sure, but there may be an option in the nag to check it to stop it asking when you open FF. When you're ready to make FF your default you can change it in the options. But even so, just close the nag and your off and surfing with FF.

If you only use it while experimenting with it and mess something up, just reinstall it. But come here first for help and maybe we can help you avoid that.

Like I said, it took me many tries before I took the plunge. I think I started with version 08 or maybe even earlier than that. I'd get frustrated and uninstall it. Then a few months later I'd come back for another try....and another. Now I won't go back to IE, IMHO. IE is still here for when I need it, but with the extensions, which you will get comfortable with in time, you will eventually get FF to do almost anything you want....and even more than IE, IMHO.

It's a piece of cake to "view in IE" when necessary, thanks to an extension. The rest of the time, I am strictly a FF user.

Good luck!
Racer

Post by Racer »

Theres a screenshot of what the cookie button looks like at http://basic.mozdev.org/cookiebutton/
You can download it from http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=329 (note you may need to enable it in Tools->Options->Web Features->Allowed Sites -the 2nd button)