Phoenix rename proposal

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I'd still go for Swoop. Easy, monosyllablic, still geos with the bird them that Phoenix has, and he's a Dinobot.

- Chris
lummox

Post by lummox »

i think arias sounds great! i seriously like this name.
scratch

Post by scratch »

djst wrote:Makes me think of "Alias".

Arias... Isn't the real name Sphaerodactylus Ariasae? I read the article, but the short-form Arias wasn't used anywhere, however, <b>Jaragua</b> was. Also, it doesn't really imply what it's about (a web browser), but neither did Phoenix.

Jaragua is actually a really cool name. I think it's a reasonably good choice.
djnr

Post by djnr »

I don't like Jaragua - people won't know what it is or how to spell or say it.

I suggested Athena earlier here, but no one picked up on it so I guess its not vialbe.

I like both PX and Swoop. It would be great to come up with a killer name that would be recognizable everywhere, like WinAmp, ICQ, Napster.

I seriously think that Phoenix could blow all the other browsers out of the water if it were properly marketed, except of course among those who never install any software on their PC.
tve

Post by tve »

djnrempel wrote:ICQ

hmmmmmm...... how about Px or PX then, seems like a lot of people like it, including me, and doesnt sound geeky at, just cool 8)

or "pix", "peex" or "pius" :D
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
stylo~

G

Post by stylo~ »

>> Anyway, can anyone find a cool name for a small gecko?

How about just calling it "G", as the reduction of Gecko. Easy to pronounce and spell. Good connotations, "Gee!"

G Browser. Fire up G and take a look...

I also thought Athena was good, but I like G much more.

(Arias is a little awkward, and does sound too close to Opera, like their mail client or something.)
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
kiop

Post by kiop »

i don't think arias is a great name, but it's better than most of the suggestions... it doesn't sound as geeky as most of the names that are being tossed around.. someone should gather the names and actually put together a meaningful poll.. (but not me)..
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

I dont think Arias is the greatest name possible, but it is better then almost all of the other things I am hearing. I would not be dissapointed with Arias at all. (i still like Athena....)

Arias is fine.
ehume

Forgive me

Post by ehume »

Arias leaves me cold.

Arias reminds me of arras, which is a wall hanging or tapestry. Or one of those overblown solos in that overrated art form, the Opera. Would Aria sound too much like it has something to do with the browser Opera?

I just looked up "Athena and browser" in TESS, the USPTO search engine. No hits. Similarly, Firebird and Zephyr are not trademarked as browsers.

I like Athena and Zephyr. Or Blake, or Harry or Hermione.

Ed
Ruari

how about

Post by Ruari »

Instead of Athena, how about a name like Arachne (uh-rak'-nee)...

She being a mortal woman (perhaps a princess) who claimed she was better than (or at least equal to) the Goddess Athena, in the art of weaving. To cut a long but superb story short, there was a weaving competition. Athena admitted that Arachne’s work was flawless, but the choice of subject matter for the tapestry (Athenas' husband Zeus and his many affairs) angered Athena (amongst other things)...

Athena tore the tapestry to pieces. She then touched Arachne’s forehead, making sure that she felt full guilt for her actions. Arachne was ashamed, and with the guilt far too horrific a thing for her mortal mind, she sunk into a depression, then later hung herself.

Athena took pity on Arachne. She had never meant to drive the girl to commit suicide. So, she brought her back to life, but not as a human... By sprinkling her with the juices of aconite, Athena transformed Arachne into a spider. Arachne (from which comes arachnid) and her descendants now forever hang from threads, unsurpassable weavers, right around you, somewhere.

Spider... web.. the internet... A thought?
MozSaysAloha

Re: how about

Post by MozSaysAloha »

Ruari wrote:Instead of Athena, how about a name like Arachne (uh-rak'-nee)...

She being a mortal woman (perhaps a princess) who claimed she was better than (or at least equal to) the Goddess Athena, in the art of weaving. To cut a long but superb story short, there was a weaving competition. Athena admitted that Arachne’s work was flawless, but the choice of subject matter for the tapestry (Athenas' husband Zeus and his many affairs) angered Athena (amongst other things)...

Athena tore the tapestry to pieces. She then touched Arachne’s forehead, making sure that she felt full guilt for her actions. Arachne was ashamed, and with the guilt far too horrific a thing for her mortal mind, she sunk into a depression, then later hung herself.

Athena took pity on Arachne. She had never meant to drive the girl to commit suicide. So, she brought her back to life, but not as a human... By sprinkling her with the juices of aconite, Athena transformed Arachne into a spider. Arachne (from which comes arachnid) and her descendants now forever hang from threads, unsurpassable weavers, right around you, somewhere.

Spider... web.. the internet... A thought?

This is a bad idea. There IS an Arachne browser for DOS & Linux. More info can be found at http://browser.arachne.cz/.
djnr

Post by djnr »

My problem with Arias is that it doesn't remind me of anything... except the plural of aria. Maybe "Swan song"... jk.

I'm glad to see people talking about Athena again. It's a powerful, clear name that's recognizable and has lots of possibility for interpretation, graphically as well as metaphorically.

Arachne is OK, but not as well known as Athena. Swoop reminds me of the Nike Swoosh symbol, and its just a tad too far out there. I liked PX earlier, but its not very inviting to non-geeks. I could live with any of these...

BUT I'd vote strongly for any of : Athena, Echo, Mariner.

PS The hot babe I get to live with (aka recently married wife) suggested naming it after herself: Maggie. I won't be offended if this suggestion gets ignored :)
djst

Post by djst »

Blake wrote:I know some people think we should try to find a name that's intimately tied with the idea of surfing the Internet, and that's fine, except someone has yet to suggest such a name. I don't think that's really a requirement, though (does "Excel" have to do with spreadsheets?).

Mariner has been proposed. At least it's close to Navigator. Mariner is a cool name I think.

Don't remember where Webfoot came from but that is also a cool name!

Blake wrote:At this point, I don't give a damn who calls it what ;-)

I think this is extremely important. There's nothing as powerful as the word of mouth.
flii

Post by flii »

i've tried thinking of phoenix as athena, and i just can't do it. there are no programs out there named "bob" or "jake" or "triton" or "zeus" (programs, not games) that are very popular. i can't think of any being named after girls, either. while i think it's great people are trying to think of women when renaming phoenix, athena sounds very weird to me, and i would never associate it with phoenix. i read and kept up with the whole phoenix rename thread and saw the long-winded explanation of why this name fits, but i just can't see the name fitting realistically. :( it rolls off my tongue as something like a tv show would have, like the princess xena series. i can't fit it with a browser.

i didn't particularly like the name arias, either, but i have to say i think arias is better than athena. however, if the browser must be renamed, i would much prefer something related to the current most popular name, which, of course, is phoenix. i'd pick firebird or px from the names i've already seen.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

I'm happy to see some talk about Athena :) I wasn't the one who came up with it, I read it in the original name thread, but it just really stuck with me.

Of course, its up to the developers in the end. However, I highly agree with Blake that something trying to continue the Moz- or -zilla name scheming, or something like Mozilla Lite, is a bad idea. I also agree with the other points that it should be easy to spell, pronounce, remember, and should be somewhat "cool" (I could never image myself telling a friend, hey try this cool new browser called newt). Of course, we also have to keep a close eye (and have been) on other trademarks or pre-exisiting work. Its a tough bill to fill, I know.