Phoenix rename proposal

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

../frank wrote:Earlier in this thread Memphis Foundry suggested <b>Fox</b>. Playing around with that a little it became <b>Phox</b>. The more I think about that I really like it. It's still derived from <b>PHO</b>eni<b>X</b> and could also be a play on "Fawkes".

[and we could still pronounce it Phoenix]

I do believe having a name that could be a pun or an acronym or something totally meaningless is pretty cool.

I'm liking this one, too. On the drive to work before I saw the suggestion of Phox, I was pondering why everyone was suggesting lizard names, since the phoenix was a bird. I think that the Ph- prefix is important to maintaining the mental link back to Phoenix, and picking a word that starts with F- and replacing Ph- would get around the "too common word" problem.

Then I log on to the forum and see Phox. Seems to accomplish my thoughts quite well.
djnr

Post by djnr »

How about we consider this thread as having been meant just for discussing the name Arias, as I think Blake originally intended, and keep the bulk of name sugesting to the other thread. That's the only logical difference I see. Maybe a moderator should lock this thread... People are starting to post the same thing in each, to make sure people read it.
flii

Post by flii »

djnrempel wrote:How about we consider this thread as having been meant just for discussing the name Arias [...] Maybe a moderator should lock this thread... People are starting to post the same thing in each, to make sure people read it.

yes. plz, someone (asa, kerz, blake?) make this distiction by posting or locking, because i doubt anyone will pay attention :( unfortunately. there is a thread specifically for suggesting new names and talking about them, and this one isn't it.
gcamenis

Rename Phoenix

Post by gcamenis »

I propose Netbird

I think everybody can pronounce it

It sounds lite and nimble

Guy Camenisch France
flii

Re: Rename Phoenix

Post by flii »

case in point. thanks gcamenis

djnrempel wrote:How about we consider this thread as having been meant just for discussing the name Arias [...] Maybe a moderator should lock this thread... People are starting to post the same thing in each, to make sure people read it.

Flii wrote:yes. plz, someone (asa, kerz, blake?) make this distiction by posting or locking, because i doubt anyone will pay attention :( unfortunately. there is a thread specifically for suggesting new names and talking about them, and this one isn't it.

and not two minutes later...

gcamenis wrote:I propose (blah blah)
djk

Post by djk »

djnrempel wrote:How about we consider this thread as having been meant just for discussing the name Arias, as I think Blake originally intended, and keep the bulk of name sugesting to the other thread. That's the only logical difference I see. Maybe a moderator should lock this thread... People are starting to post the same thing in each, to make sure people read it.

Sorry.
I posted my comments/suggestions about new names here first, then saw that this was the wrong topic (and it became unsticky, too). So I reposted in the correct topic.

FWIW, I don't like the name Arias. :-}
jayeshsh

Arias is good, however ... how about Ariasay ?

Post by jayeshsh »

Hello,

I think Arias is a good new name for Phoenix; however, if you do not want an allusion to the Opera browser, do consider <b>Ariasay </b>. The original lizard Blake mentioned is called Sphaerodactylus <b>ariasae</b> . Can you say Ariasay?

Ariasay would be quite unique as Google turns up no results for it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ariasay& ... =0&start=0

I also checked the US patent and trademark office: http://www.uspto.gov/ .
It did not find any Trademark matching Ariasay.

Now, onto domains:
I checked www.internic.net. It appears that ariasay.org, ariasay.com, and ariasay.net are all available.

In closing, how do <b>ariaSay </b> or <b> AriaSay</b> or <b>ariasay</b> look?

Regards,

- Jay
iluvmonkees

Post by iluvmonkees »

no sir.. I don't like it.

Although it does make me think about Aria, that hot italian(?) chick.
trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Personally, I don't like the name Arias. It just sounds, umm, funny. The second a inside Arias especially.

I still want Phantalop, sounds like Antelope, which is small and fast.
../frank

Post by ../frank »

trenzterra wrote:I still want Phantalop, sounds like Antelope, which is small and fast.

How about Jackalope

<i>The Jackalope (Lepus-temperamentalus) is one of the rarest animals in the world. A cross between a now extinct pygmy-deer and a species of killer-rabbit, they are extremely shy unless approached. </i>

http://www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
dgil

Post by dgil »

I propose PEGAIS. As recorded by Pliny, the Pegais was a great bird with the head of a horse.

I own the pegais.org and pegais.com web site. I *can* give it to the phoenix group on request.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

dgil wrote:I propose PEGAIS. As recorded by Pliny, the Pegais was a great bird with the head of a horse.

I own the pegais.org and pegais.com web site. I *can* give it to the phoenix group on request.

You don't think there's a teeny chance it might get confused with Pegasus, which is a flying horse and a popular email client?

- Chris
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

dgil wrote:I own the pegais.org and pegais.com web site. I *can* give it to the phoenix group on request.

Hmm... for free? :wink:
dgil

Post by dgil »

laszlo wrote:
dgil wrote:I own the pegais.org and pegais.com web site. I *can* give it to the phoenix group on request.

Hmm... for free? :wink:

Yes for free !!
dgil

Post by dgil »

thumperward wrote:
dgil wrote:I propose PEGAIS. As recorded by Pliny, the Pegais was a great bird with the head of a horse.

You don't think there's a teeny chance it might get confused with Pegasus, which is a flying horse and a popular email client?

- Chris

Popular ? I never heard about it ;-)

In the same time, it's one of the only proposition with no commercial company using it and a six letters web site free to use.
Last edited by dgil on December 7th, 2002, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.