Phoenix rename proposal

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Teluial

Objection!

Post by Teluial »

I'm going to object to "Phox". I'll get violent if I have to.

No "cute" or "clever" spellings.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, probably has, but how about Raptor.

It works as both a link to Mozilla with the dinosaurs and a link to Phoenix with the birds. And since the dinosaurs evolved into birds it seems fitting to name it Raptor as it is an evolution of the Mozilla core into a better browser. Also you have the whole speed and intelligence thing going on, which definitely fits this browser.

edit: ugh, nevermind...

not only was Raptor already used by Mozilla, they had to stop using it for copyright reasons.

damn, and i thought that name sounded so cool.
old Neil Parks

Re: Another Phoenix

Post by old Neil Parks »

aditseng wrote:For all those who've watched/read Harry Potter - why not name is Fawkes after Dumbledore's Phoenix? Sticks with Phoenix without saying so - although we have to check whether Rowling or Warner Bros have trademark issues!

If they did, we would just say it was named after "Guy Fawkes Day".
Visceral

My 2 cents

Post by Visceral »

Athena sounds really nice, I dig it.
flii

Post by flii »

*sigh* you guys, there really, truly, honest-to-goodness is a correct thread for posting new names. <i>this one is not it.</i> you seriously can't miss the correct thread because it's got over 60 pages and 70k views.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

threads that big intimidate me :(
flii

Post by flii »

well honestly, that thread wouldn't be even half as big if people didn't keep posting names that have already been mentioned, end in -zilla, or have already been discarded as being copyrighted. anything you post there can not possibly make you look any dumber than half the other people who posted. ;) if you want, you can always pm me with any questions you have before posting there. you can also do a search of the phoenix general forum for the name you're thinking of posting. odds are, it's there already, but we still get a few new ones sometimes.

good luck!
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

Flii wrote:well honestly, that thread wouldn't be even half as big if people didn't keep posting names that have already been mentioned, end in -zilla, or have already been discarded as being copyrighted.

Not copyrighted, trademarked. You can't copyright individual names.
Alex
flii

Post by flii »

Alex Bishop wrote:Not copyrighted, trademarked. You can't copyright individual names.

bah, sorry. in any case, the developers can't use those names. thanks.
priior

Post by priior »

mattcoz wrote:I don't know if this has been suggested or not, probably has, but how about Raptor.

check out my post on this page: :)
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... &start=210

i think raptor is the single most suggested name on the forum :) As someone mentioned "watched Jurassic park one too many times?" :)
cocoliso

Post by cocoliso »

what about YACARE, its a crocodile
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

tiny is right, the velociraptor was really just 3 feet tall and 6 feet long. the raptors in the movie were more reminiscent of the deinonychus. then there's the utah raptor, it's like 20 feet long and the claws on its feet are 15 inches long.

hehe, read the book, watched the movie, then researched the dinos a bit too much :P

to make things worse, i have a velociraptor claw :mrgreen: