Default profile path

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tholus

Default profile path

Post by tholus »

Hello, I've been using Phoenix basically since it's come out (I really like it, great job!) and now I want to put it on a cd so I can use it at school and other various places with out having to unzip it and mess with all the settings. I know there was a previous post on putting Phoenix on cd, but there wasn't any clear way to change the default profile path used by the browser. I'm wondering how I can do this. Thanks
alanjstr

Re: Default profile path

Post by alanjstr »

tholus wrote:Hello, I've been using Phoenix basically since it's come out (I really like it, great job!) and now I want to put it on a cd so I can use it at school and other various places with out having to unzip it and mess with all the settings. I know there was a previous post on putting Phoenix on cd, but there wasn't any clear way to change the default profile path used by the browser. I'm wondering how I can do this. Thanks

When you create a profile, it asks for the location. Inside that profile is a random string xxxxx.slt. This string is random for security purposes. There are files in your profile that are written out by Mozilla such as prefs.js, so I'm not sure you can run them off a cd.

The fastest way to implement your preferences are to carry user.js, userChrome.css, userContent.css and bookmarks.html around on a floppy.

Or are you talkinng about carrying the binary around on cd. Or both?
tholus

Post by tholus »

alanjstr wrote:
tholus wrote:Hello, I've been using Phoenix basically since it's come out (I really like it, great job!) and now I want to put it on a cd so I can use it at school and other various places with out having to unzip it and mess with all the settings. I know there was a previous post on putting Phoenix on cd, but there wasn't any clear way to change the default profile path used by the browser. I'm wondering how I can do this. Thanks

When you create a profile, it asks for the location. Inside that profile is a random string xxxxx.slt. This string is random for security purposes. There are files in your profile that are written out by Mozilla such as prefs.js, so I'm not sure you can run them off a cd.

The fastest way to implement your preferences are to carry user.js, userChrome.css, userContent.css and bookmarks.html around on a floppy.

I'm talking about carrying both the binary and the preferences around on cd. I'm probaly going to fool around with this more tommorow. The name of all the folders and files are pretty descriptive of their function, and there's a profile folder in the defaults folder in the main folder. I hate being so repetitive. I'm guessing the files in the profile folder in the main phoenix area are overridden by the profile in the non-main area.

Bah, I'll end up going to sleep late because of this... Won't be good for that test tommorow :shock:

[edit]Can't get it to work, tommorow will be muc...... :falls asleep:[/edit]
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

tholus wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

I'm talking about carrying both the binary and the preferences around on cd. I'm probaly going to fool around with this more tommorow. The name of all the folders and files are pretty descriptive of their function, and there's a profile folder in the defaults folder in the main folder. I hate being so repetitive. I'm guessing the files in the profile folder in the main phoenix area are overridden by the profile in the non-main area.

Bah, I'll end up going to sleep late because of this... Won't be good for that test tommorow :shock:

[edit]Can't get it to work, tommorow will be muc...... :falls asleep:[/edit]

Well, on the one hand, if you just delete the phoenix binary and install a new one, it will use the old profile, so it's smart enough for that. The only problem I really see is the files that are read-only and the fact that the drive letter for the cd-rom won't necessarily be a constant.
tholus

Almost done with it

Post by tholus »

Ok, so I've figured out when you put your bookmarks, pref.js from the generated profile dir (along with any user.js code you want) and the localstore.rdf from the same place as the other two into the phoenix\defaults\profile\US folder you change what phoenix starts up with when there is no generated profile on a computer. The pref.js changes the prefs, bookmarks change the bookmarks and localstore.rdf changes the toolbar customization. The gen profile overrides the phoenix\defaults\profile\US contents.

I have yet to find the location in the main phoenix directory to alter the default theme. But, the chrome.rdf file in the [where ever application data is stored on your computer]Phoenix\Profiles\default\********.slt\chrome is what controls the user's theme. This work is being done on last night's nightly btw. If I could get some help in trying to find where to put this to make it default, it would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't matter what the cd-rom drive letter is because phoenix gets the default items from predefined locations, I think, and I'm not messing with those. It also works on different letter harddrives, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

The test was much easier than expected :o, so lack of sleep wasn't that detrimental.
tholus

Done it! :D

Post by tholus »

Well, I've completed my task with putting the browser on cd with all the prefs. I just over looked one of the entries in the generated prefs.js file that set the theme!!
alanjstr

Re: Almost done with it

Post by alanjstr »

tholus wrote:I have yet to find the location in the main phoenix directory to alter the default theme. But, the chrome.rdf file in the [where ever application data is stored on your computer]Phoenix\Profiles\default\********.slt\chrome is what controls the user's theme. This work is being done on last night's nightly btw. If I could get some help in trying to find where to put this to make it default, it would be greatly appreciated.

classic.jar is the default theme.